When was the last time you felt invincible? Maybe you think no one has noticed your potential, but today, let's talk about something that will make your eyes light up with wonder. Recently, scientists conducted an experiment with two mice, which, admittedly, is an unconventional duo for a scientific study. They put them in a situation where one mouse, let’s call it Hero Mouse, was given an advantage for territorial battles—like a set of boxing gloves—while its opponent, Underdog Mouse, fought without any boost. Unsurprisingly, Hero Mouse won, as if it had a personal cheerleader. This story is about confidence. If a small mouse can become the king of the lab, imagine what you can achieve. 

Are you ready to apply the winner’s effect in your life? Picture a carousel of success spinning faster with each trophy you earn. Like in a game, the more gold coins you collect, the more bonuses you get. In life, one victory leads to another. Look at those with thick wallets—they seem to be in a magical circle of wealth where each new success increases their fortune. Athletes, too, feel a surge of energy after scoring a goal, with their spirits leaping like popcorn in a microwave. Even the fans win just by being near the victory, filling stadiums with their cheers.

Apologies to the fans, but they too are winning by just being part of the triumph. This magic of victory works wonders. As we ride this success carousel, let's delve into the story of someone who embodies the winner’s effect: J.K. Rowling. Before she became the queen of the literary world with Harry Potter, Rowling faced a series of failures—divorce, living on welfare, and rejections from publishers. Her manuscript was rejected 12 times, but she didn’t give up. Each rejection boosted her confidence, as if telling her, “Wait and see what I can do.” Eventually, she got a green light from Bloomsbury, and the rest is history. Harry Potter became a global phenomenon, and Rowling became the first billionaire author. Her story shows how one woman moved from despair to immense success.

Use each failure as a stepping stone to reach the stars. So, if you feel stuck on your path to success, remember Rowling’s story. Every failure is just another opportunity to rise higher and show the world you can do it. If Hero Mouse and J.K. Rowling turned their failures into triumphs, so can you. The more attention you get, the brighter your star shines. Personal victories trigger biochemical fireworks in your body, making you even more attractive for new victories. However, if you get trapped in a cycle of failures, it can shake your confidence, like being caught in a sandstorm—the more you struggle, the deeper you sink.

Life is a series of ups and downs, and your attitude towards these cycles determines how high you’ll soar on your next leap. It doesn’t matter how many medals are on your shelf or how many victorious selfies are on your social media. What matters is how you perceive these achievements. Even if your last victory was arguing with a cat over a pillow, and you likely lost, it doesn’t mean you’re not a champion. Success isn’t just about certificates and applause; it’s also about recognizing small victories. For instance, I finally remembered all my account passwords. If that’s not success, then what is?

Our brains don’t differentiate much between the scales of victory. Winning the lottery and making a perfect omelet are almost the same to our brains. Sometimes, I feel like the guy who shows up to a party in the wrong outfit, but creates a huge conversation piece with my giant kangaroo mask. Small victories are always around us. Didn’t forget to brush your teeth today? Congratulations! You’re on the path to great achievements. Victory or defeat is just a matter of perspective. Lost a boxing match? But you stood in the ring for four rounds and landed some punches. Got rejected romantically? Maybe your charisma is too powerful for this universe. It’s not the number of victories that matters, but your attitude toward each step you take.

So, let’s build the muscles of recognizing our achievements and climb the spiral of success together. Here’s a life hack: end each day with three small victories. It can be anything, like finally remembering where you left your keys or doing ten push-ups instead of five. Small victories are like a secret ingredient for your brain that will eventually make you feel invincible. But, as with any magic potion, too much can turn your life into chaos. Once, I asked my wife Yulia about this, and she, being an expert, said that praising someone for their effort is far more important than praising their talent.

Research by Dr. Carol Dweck and her colleague Claudia Mueller showed that children who were praised for their efforts chose more challenging tasks and performed better. When you’re praised for your hard work, you’re not afraid to tackle difficult challenges because your value isn’t in how smart you are now, but in how willing you are to grow and improve. When it comes to learning or any new endeavor, don’t be afraid to choose the more difficult path. This is your chance to grow and become even better. 

Growth comes from rising every time you fall. So, let’s appreciate every effort, every step forward, because they make us stronger. This will be our secret weapon on the path to success. Chasing difficult tasks for the sake of difficulty can be dangerous, like choosing a path through mountains when you could have gone around. But who are we without challenges? They make life exciting. Ask yourself, is failure really that bad? Most mistakes can be corrected, and who doesn’t make mistakes never does anything and learns nothing.

I prefer to see it this way: either I win, or I learn. In any case, it’s a step forward. Recently, I realized that our attitude towards success starts in childhood. Did you know that the month you’re born can affect your success in sports? Early victories matter not just for us, but for professional athletes too. It’s as if a wizard granted you superpowers on your birthday just because you were born in January instead of December. In youth sports teams, those born earlier in the year have a slight advantage—they’re often bigger and stronger than their peers, starting a cycle of success leading to more achievements.

I recall my traumatic childhood experience in football. I was put in a team with older kids and felt all the struggles of being the youngest on the field. But thanks to this, I learned that early defeats can spur growth and development. As Tim Ferriss says, early victories are needed to keep us motivated halfway. Every morning you get up and choose to get out of bed is already a small victory. If you managed to shower before breakfast, consider the day a success. No matter your grand plans for the day, every step forward is already a success.

If you can beat your five-year-old son in a morning wrestling match, congratulations! You’re a hero. Success isn’t always about gold medals and first places; sometimes it’s just about not forgetting to water the plants or do your exercise. Sometimes we plan grandiose tasks for the day and end up being proud that we at least did the laundry. The main thing is not to lose faith in yourself, even if your inner critic tells you that the chances of achieving everything are as likely as meeting a unicorn.

How much can you trust yourself? If you promise to exercise every morning but always excuse yourself with bad weather or lack of time, it doesn’t boost your self-esteem. Remember, your actions and words should match. So, if you announce big plans, be ready to follow through. The quality of your life is determined by the quality of your promises. Let’s fast forward to the year 2842, where humanity has figured out how to create people in labs. Imagine one of these newly-made citizens, let’s call him Foggy Sloth, encountering something as basic as bodily functions for the first time. Picture his surprise when he realizes what he ate yesterday has turned into something quite different today, and the doctor casually explains that it’s perfectly normal.

Back to our main point, how often do we encounter something like meditation and give up immediately because our thoughts won’t quiet down? Expecting instant enlightenment is unrealistic, just as Zen masters practice for years. No wonder it seems like we’re getting nowhere when, in fact, every small step forward is already a victory. Many of our problems aren’t really problems—they’re just our perception making them seem so. Change your perspective, and you’ll see things aren’t so bad.

I once heard someone say life is a spiral, and even if it feels like we’re returning to the same point, we’re still moving upwards. Visualization is a powerful tool even Olympians use to achieve their goals. It’s not magic but the work of the mind, allowing us to see our goals so clearly that they seem already achieved. When I served in the army in 2009, I thought I’d never get out. Each day felt the same, dragging on endlessly. Every night, I’d visualize coming home, hugging my family, seeing my friends, and this gave me motivation and strength. Visualization isn’t about creating illusions; it’s about building confidence where there was none. This is what propels us forward and brings results.

In my life, I’ve seen how things I visualized came to fruition, making me wonder why I ever stopped doing it. If you start celebrating your future successes today, imagine how it would affect your work, relationships, and overall well-being. The energy this practice can bring into your life is immense. My goal today is not just to share my story but to inspire you to create your own success story. Let’s build a healthy relationship with our achievements and climb the spiral of success together.

Final Thoughts:

Success is not just about grand achievements; it’s also about recognizing and celebrating small victories along the way. Confidence, persistence, and a

positive attitude are crucial. Whether it’s the story of a mouse with an advantage, J.K. Rowling’s journey, or the power of visualization, these examples show that we all have the potential to overcome obstacles and achieve our goals. Embrace each step forward, no matter how small, and remember that every effort counts. Keep visualizing your success and let it drive you toward your dreams.