New beginnings - resolutions are hardThe New Year is often seen as a magical time full of hope, yet year after year, many fail to achieve their resolutions. Studies show that less than 10% of people meet their New Year’s goals. If you’re struggling, it’s time to understand why and how to change it.

Is New Year Special? The Gregorian calendar might be standard, but it’s just one of many. Various cultures celebrate New Year on different dates based on their calendars. This shows that New Year’s significance is subjective, and the real value comes from our actions and decisions, not an arbitrary date.

Detailed Instructions Are Key - Abstract goals like “I want to lose weight” are challenging because they lack clear steps. Break tasks into specific, manageable actions. Use tools like Todoist, Evernote, Asana, or even simple notes to create detailed plans. This helps prevent procrastination and keeps you focused.

Reward Yourself - Only reward yourself after completing a task. This helps avoid guilt and reinforces the habit of working before enjoying distractions.

Manage Dopamine Levels - Dopamine drives desire and satisfaction. Reset your dopamine levels by eliminating easy sources of pleasure, such as social media and junk food. This can help you regain focus on more challenging goals.

Minimize Distractions - Focus on one task at a time. Set boundaries to prevent interruptions and plan ahead to manage unexpected goals. Simplify access to essential tools and limit distractions.

Prepare for Fatigue - Even cherished goals can become tiresome. It’s okay to switch activities or adjust goals as needed. Recognize when it’s time to move on from a goal that no longer serves you.

Understand Your True Goals - Dig deep to understand the core reason behind your goals. Sometimes, your true desires may lead to different paths or solutions.

Use Psychological Tools - Tests like Big Five or MBTI can provide insights into your strengths and weaknesses. Use these insights to better align your goals with your natural tendencies.

Start Small and Build Up - Begin with small, manageable tasks and gradually increase complexity. This approach helps prevent frustration and burnout.

Embrace Simple Actions - Any action, no matter how small, contributes to progress. Simple actions can ignite motivation and lead to larger achievements.

Handle Procrastination - If starting is difficult, try doing nothing for a while. Studies show that enduring discomfort can sometimes prompt productivity.

Begin with Small Steps - Don’t aim for large goals right away. Start with small steps and gradually build up. This makes the process less overwhelming and more achievable.

Motivation Through Action - Start with a small action to build motivation. Overcoming initial resistance can lead to greater progress.

Develop Habits - Habits are crucial for achieving goals. Use motivation to start and discipline to maintain progress. Consistent effort turns tasks into routines.

Balance Motivation and Discipline - Both motivation and discipline are essential for success. Finding the right balance is key to achieving your goals.

A New Perspective - The New Year is just a date. Any day can be special if we choose to make it so. Use this perspective to start implementing your plans and fulfilling promises to yourself, whether it’s improving your health, picking up new hobbies, or achieving personal milestones.

Let me know if this works for you!

Why Do Your "Tomorrows" Always Remain Unreachable?

Have you ever noticed that your promises are like the roads in 3rd world country? Both seem never-ending and unfinished. How many plans have you made that still lie unfulfilled? I bet the list is pretty long. But isn't it time to change that right now? Let's transform today! In this discussion, we’ll explore how to make the next 12 weeks filled not just with plans but with actions that lead to results. And don’t worry, this isn’t some dry lecture on time management. Think of it as your treasure map to success, complete with a detailed guide from me. So watch this video till the end because we’ll save the best for last.

Recently, I read an amazing book called "The 12 Week Year," and it opened my eyes. But first, let’s talk about our favorite "tomorrow." Tomorrow, I’ll go to the gym. Tomorrow, I’ll start learning English. Tomorrow, I’ll lose 5 kg. Tomorrow, I’ll make more money. Sound familiar? Now, like this video if you’re also waiting for that magical tomorrow which always turns into the day after or never comes at all. I’ve been there myself, many times. How many important tasks on your list are waiting for their moment? 20, 10, 50?

Let's get serious. Procrastination and poor time management are our biggest enemies on the path to productivity. We all know what needs to be done, but transitioning from knowing to doing sometimes feels like science fiction. Imagine getting 1,000 rubles for every task you completed from your list. How much money would you have earned by now? This is where we lose not just time, but potential success and even money. Today, let’s figure out how to stop feeding this silly habit and start squeezing every opportunity for growth and development.

Are you ready? Write in the comments which of your plans and tasks are still waiting for tomorrow. Don’t worry, you’re not alone in this battle against procrastination. You get it, right? I’m also struggling. We all are. So, my dear procrastinators, it’s time to introduce you to something revolutionary. Forget about traditional months and let’s turn them into 12 weeks. This method will help you radically change your productivity. Trust me. The book "The 12 Week Year" is simple yet profound. Forget about the year as a unit of measurement for your achievements. Instead, divide your epic annual plan into four 12-week micro-seasons.

When you work with a tight deadline, you tend to work a little harder. With this method, we create a sense of urgency and importance for each action, pushing us toward action. Here are the benefits: First, you see results faster. Second, you can adjust your course more frequently without waiting for the year’s end. Third, you get to celebrate New Year four times a year, which means four times more gifts. Maybe that’s not exactly how it works, but who knows? Forget phrases like "I’ll start on Monday" or "I’ll start in the New Year." Your new year begins today with this video. Happy New Year! Because if you’re waiting for the perfect moment, I’ve got good news: here it is. The perfect moment is always now.

Let’s dive into the details of this method and learn how it works in practice. The first step is setting goals. The key word here is specificity. Vague goals like "I want to be happy" or "I want to earn more" are too ambiguous. You need measurable goals. For example, your goal might be to earn 100,000 rubles in 12 weeks. That’s a clear and measurable goal. Or to lose 5 kg. Again, clear. Ask yourself what you want to achieve, how you will know you’ve achieved it, and what your criteria for success are. These questions help you formulate clear goals.

My goals for this year include earning more money. The second step is planning. Great achievements start with great plans. Break your goals into small, manageable tasks. If you want to earn 100,000 rubles, what steps do you need to take? Maybe launch a new product, increase your client base, or improve your marketing. Each task should have a deadline and specific actions. It’s important to be realistic in your plans. Don’t try to cram a year’s work into one month. Break tasks down so they are achievable and don’t lead to burnout.

The third step is execution and tracking. This part is simple: act and monitor your results. Every day, complete the planned tasks and every week, check how close you are to your goal. You can use planning apps, timers, journals, sticky notes on the fridge—anything that helps you stay on track. It’s crucial not to lose sight of your progress. This will be your map and compass in the world of goals and tasks.

Now, let’s set aside all these plans and schedules for a moment and talk heart-to-heart. I want to share my failures and victories with you. Yes, I put victories in quotes because each failure is a step towards success, and each victory is just the beginning. This may sound like an excuse for my own failures, but in reality, the best experience is often bad experience.

Let’s start with failures. There were times when I was the king of procrastination, the emperor of "I’ll do it tomorrow," the overlord of "next week." What did that get me? A heap of unrealized ideas and missed opportunities. I always had many ideas—trying a new business, learning something new, traveling somewhere. But "I’ll do it tomorrow" was much stronger than me. Then, without even realizing it, I started planning and setting tasks on a quarterly basis. A quarter is three months, in case you didn’t know. When I read this book, I was amazed. If I hadn’t put everything off until tomorrow, I could have written that book myself. It was a wake-up call about my attitude toward time and tasks.

Using this method, I significantly increased my productivity and felt real satisfaction from what I achieved. I began to complete projects I had only dreamed of before, which boosted my confidence and motivation to keep going. Not all projects, of course, but I’m working on that. No one is perfect, except maybe Nicole Kidman. Now I want to pass this baton to you. Believe me, if I can do it, so can you. All it takes is to start right now.

Yes, it will always be challenging. There will be moments of doubt and disappointment. But when you see the first results of your efforts, you’ll realize it was worth it. Let’s make the next 12 weeks the beginning of something great. Ready? I know you are.

Now, let’s try to create an ideal week. No, an ideal week doesn’t mean lounging on the beach every day. It means a week filled with productive actions that bring you closer to your goals. Monday: Start with the most challenging task you usually put off. Let’s call it defeating procrastination. Tuesday: Work on developing a new skill or improving an existing one. If you’re a nail artist, try painting nails with your eyes closed. Wednesday: Spend time on strategic planning for the month ahead. Thursday: Make it your finance day—budgeting, investing, or planning expenses. Friday: Focus on creative projects or meetings that require a creative approach. Going out for drinks with friends doesn’t count as a creative approach.

Now, create your plan for an ideal week. Think about what tasks and actions you need to include to make your week as productive as possible. Don’t forget to leave time for rest and recovery, as burnout is not what we’re aiming for. Share your plan in the comments and let’s inspire each other to achieve new heights.

Finally, let’s talk about what drives us forward: motivation. Sometimes it comes from external sources, sometimes from within. It can be a lightning bolt or a small spark slowly igniting inside us. Steve Jobs once said, "Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life." Always remember this when setting your goals. Do it not just for someone else, but primarily for yourself. Start small but think big. Let each step, even the smallest, be a step toward your big goal. Don’t be afraid to dream, but more importantly, don’t be afraid to act.

Remember, each of you has unlimited potential, and each of you can reach incredible heights. All you need is self-belief and the willingness to put in the effort. We are all the same: what I can do, you can do too. There are no obstacles, except the ones we create ourselves. So go ahead and achieve new accomplishments. Don’t forget to share your successes and progress with me and the entire community.

Final Thoughts:

This approach to transforming your productivity by breaking down your year into four 12-week cycles is both practical and powerful. By creating a sense of urgency and focusing on specific, measurable goals, you can see results more quickly and make adjustments as needed. This method not only helps you achieve your goals faster but also keeps you motivated by allowing you to celebrate successes more frequently.

It's crucial to be specific and realistic about your goals and to break them down into manageable tasks. Consistent tracking and reviewing your progress are key to staying on course. Sharing your plans and progress with others can also provide accountability and inspiration.

Overall, the 12-week year method encourages you to stop procrastinating and start taking concrete steps toward your goals. It's a mindset shift that turns "I'll do it tomorrow" into "I'll start today," which can lead to significant improvements in productivity and personal satisfaction.

• 4 weeks later...

Why New Beginnings Are Hard: Rethinking the Monday Myth

Today, we’re going to dive into why it's so tough to start a new life on Monday, New Year's Day, or from a clean slate. If there's something in your life that's bothering you and you want to change, whether it's forming a new habit or approaching life differently, it feels natural to set a start date. The most common choices? Mondays, New Year's Day, or any other significant marker. We set that date and start working towards it. But strangely, this approach often fails. According to statistics, half of us make plans for the new year, but only about 8%—less than one in ten—actually achieve those goals. So, why don't our well-intentioned plans work out?

Surprisingly, it all boils down to how our brain works. First, it’s important to recognize that our desires come in two forms: abstract, intellectual desires—like ideas or plans we come up with—and true, deep-seated desires. You likely know the difference if you compare a passionate love with a mere intellectual attraction to someone or something. Which one seems more likely to drive action? Of course, it’s the passionate love—the real, intense desire. It’s not enough just to make a plan; you have to genuinely want to make it happen. But how do we get there?

This leads us to the second point. Our behavior, thoughts, and habits are all managed by groups of neurons in our brain called neural ensembles. For a new ensemble to form, everything must fall into place: the neurons, like musicians in an orchestra, need to learn the score, have a conductor, and work together harmoniously. Our current lifestyle is like a set of neural ensembles that define how we live. If we want to change something, we need to disband the old ensemble—sometimes with significant effort—and form a new one to take its place. It's not enough to declare that Ensemble A stops and Ensemble B starts playing immediately; the new ensemble must be gradually built and trained.

Take a simple example: let’s say you’ve decided to start working out. It’s a great goal, and I fully support it. But simply deciding that you’ll go to the gym from Monday might be too overwhelming. Instead, start by getting the right workout clothes, researching gyms, exploring types of workouts, or talking to friends who already go to the gym. Step by step, you’re creating the neural ensemble needed to support this new habit. Over time, this ensemble will naturally engage, and you'll find yourself shifting from planning to actual behavior change without even realizing it.

The third important point is understanding how we often compare ourselves to people who seem highly disciplined or determined. We hear stories about such people, and we end up judging ourselves harshly when we don’t measure up. We might punish ourselves mentally, thinking that this will somehow resolve the issue, but in reality, it just makes things worse. These stories about highly disciplined individuals are often superficial. It’s crucial to dig deeper into what really happened in those people’s lives. Some are indeed stubborn and persistent—I’d count myself as one of those—but is this a virtue or simply a trait of my personality? It’s just a feature of my psyche, with both positive and negative aspects. The kind of willpower we read about in literature doesn’t really exist. Instead, our goal should be to prepare ourselves for new behaviors and actions.

Whenever I start writing a new book, I spend a long time thinking about it before anything actually gets written. The new neural ensemble forms in my mind first, then the writing flows. That’s how we perform the desired melody of our lives and achieve our goals. So, if something in your life isn’t working, don’t just set a date and declare that you’ll live differently from that point forward. Instead, cultivate a real desire for that new life by preparing yourself through several preliminary actions. Only then will you feel the genuine urge to change, which will help you achieve your goals.

Final Thoughts:

This approach provides a more sustainable way to implement change. Instead of forcing ourselves into a rigid plan that may feel overwhelming, it’s about aligning our actions with our true desires. Recognizing that our brains are wired to resist sudden changes can be liberating. It explains why gradual, deliberate steps are often more effective than trying to leap into a new habit overnight. Building new neural pathways is akin to forming new relationships or developing a skill—it requires patience, repetition, and genuine commitment. Understanding that change is more of an evolving process rather than a sudden switch can help ease the frustration we often feel when things don’t go as planned. This mindset shift from expecting instant results to appreciating the journey can be incredibly powerful in achieving long-term personal growth.

• Olga changed the title to New Year, New Life | Why New Beginnings Are Hard