Audio version of the post (you need to be a registered member for listening):

How often do you find yourself endlessly scrolling through social media, getting lost in the latest video game, or doing anything but tackling that important project or heading to the gym? If you do, you're not alone - everyone experiences this, including me. Want to know why this happens? It's all about dopamine, the chemical your brain produces that’s often called the "pleasure hormone."

Here's the deal: When we enjoy an activity, our brain releases dopamine, making us feel euphoric. The more dopamine an activity triggers, the more we want to keep doing it. But because our brains are inherently lazy, they prefer easy pleasures. It's far simpler to scroll through social media than to tackle a tough project or go to the gym. Sounds obvious, right? But how do we actually implement this in our lives?

In this text, I'll share some tips and tricks that I personally use to boost productivity. But first, an important disclaimer: It's not always necessary to resort to productivity hacks. There are weekends, holidays, and vacations when your brain is hardwired to think, "Aha, today I'm resting." Forcing yourself to tackle something difficult on these days often leads to burnout and reduced productivity in the long run. Studies support this; for instance, researchers from the Medical University of Vienna found that people work more productively after a vacation. Israeli researchers also found that even a short vacation can reduce burnout symptoms. So, make a deal with yourself to rest on weekends and vacations and plan challenging tasks for workdays. Your body will thank you, and complex tasks will become easier to handle.

Now, let's dive into some hacks to outsmart your brain. But remember, these aren't for weekends.

1. Limit Easy Dopamine:
First and foremost, consume less easy dopamine. I'm not suggesting you completely give up social media, games, and other joys—because that’s unlikely to work. Instead, consciously allocate specific times for these activities. For example, schedule social media sessions twice a day—at lunch and in the evening. The idea is to control your consumption. Based on personal experience, this works. Without easy dopamine, things get boring, and you start looking toward other activities.

2. Find Enjoyment in Challenging Tasks:
To enjoy more challenging tasks, find internal motivation. Psychologists agree that internal motivation is more powerful than external. One experiment showed that people are more likely to keep promises to themselves if they find the task interesting or at least not off-putting. For example, I work out five days a week. It's tough, and if you asked me if I want to go to the gym, I'd say no. But I've found benefits that outweigh the difficulty—like socializing with friends, which is fun, and taking a break from work, which is refreshing. Plus, I enjoy good health and a fit body as a bonus. When I think about going to the gym, I focus on seeing friends and having fun rather than the heavy lifting. I'm sure you can find similar positives in your challenging tasks.

3. Promise Yourself a Reward:
Promising yourself a reward can help you tackle difficult tasks. When you complete a challenging project, reward yourself with something motivating and exciting—not just a small treat but something significant, like an iPhone or a vacation. For smaller tasks, choose smaller rewards like a spa visit or a day trip. This approach can push your brain to start working on difficult tasks.

4. Break Tasks into Steps:
For large tasks, break them into small steps. This method shows your brain that the task isn’t as daunting as it seems. Write down these steps in your planner or notes. The goal is to tell your brain, "Hey, it's not that hard." For instance, if you need to prepare a presentation, break it down into steps like finding references, drafting a plan, writing the text, designing slides, and reviewing the presentation. This way, a big task becomes manageable, and your brain resists less.

5. The 10-Minute Rule:
Sometimes, even with a plan, you still don't want to start. In such cases, tell yourself you'll work on it for just 10 minutes. Promise to open your laptop and draft a plan or work out for 10 minutes. Our brains hate unfinished tasks, so we tend to complete what we start. Studies confirm this; participants asked to stop a puzzle just before finishing it usually wanted to complete it. This phenomenon also explains why we finish watching boring movies—we want to know the ending. Use this brain quirk to your advantage. Just start, and stopping will be hard.

The Most Important Trick:
Right now, your brain is probably thinking, "I watched a helpful video, now I can relax." Let's trick that lazy brain. Spend the next 10 minutes on a task you've been putting off. Draft a plan, research online, or skim through articles—nothing too difficult, but enough to get you moving. You'll already be making progress.

Hey everyone,

I wanted to share a couple of personal tricks I've used to get myself to do those tough tasks I usually avoid. I hope you find these helpful!

Limiting Easy Dopamine:

Like many of you, I found myself spending way too much time on social media and games instead of working on important projects. It was so easy to get sucked into the endless scroll. One day, I decided enough was enough. I started scheduling specific times to check social media—once during lunch and once in the evening. It wasn’t easy at first, but by sticking to this routine, I found myself with more free time and fewer distractions. Without that constant stream of easy dopamine, I naturally started looking for other, more productive activities to fill my time.

Finding Enjoyment in Challenging Tasks:

I used to dread going to the gym. Every time I thought about it, I’d find an excuse to do something else. Then I changed my approach. Instead of focusing on how hard it would be, I started thinking about the positives. For me, that meant socializing with friends at the gym and taking a break from work stress. I began to enjoy my gym sessions more because I associated them with fun and relaxation, not just hard work. Plus, seeing improvements in my health and fitness was a great motivator.

By limiting easy dopamine sources and finding ways to enjoy difficult tasks, I’ve been able to trick my brain into being more productive. Give these methods a try, and you might be surprised at how much easier it is to tackle those tough tasks!

Cheers!