I want to talk to you about the concept of "slow life." You might have already heard about it, but let me share my journey, my thoughts, who it suits, and how to live it. If this is new to you, according to Wikipedia, slow life is about decelerating the pace of life. In short, it encourages living mindfully, stopping the rush, being present in the moment, and prioritizing quality over quantity.

From birth, I was a slow-paced child, which was a real challenge in a family where everyone was always rushing and multitasking. I felt constantly behind, unable to keep up. My mom and grandma often questioned how I could be so slow, equating it to laziness. Over time, this led to feelings of inadequacy that followed me through school, university, and work. Society's emphasis on productivity and hustle made me feel broken because I couldn't match its pace.

Despite attempts to live a productive life, I would quickly burn out, both mentally and physically. I never understood the rush and its purpose. Once, someone told me, "You do it slowly, but you do it better than anyone." This resonated with me, revealing that my perfectionism contributed to my slowness. My need to do things perfectly often led to not doing them at all. Over time, I learned to embrace imperfection and find a balance, though this is still a work in progress.

This introduction is to show that my essence has always been about doing one thing well rather than many things poorly. Later, I encountered frustration with the societal focus on success measured by income and hours worked. Social media amplified this, making me feel like the only one living life 'wrong.' This led to self-doubt and the belief that maybe I should conform and push myself to the limit for success, even though it felt inherently wrong.

When I first heard about the slow life movement, I felt a profound connection. It validated that slowness isn't a flaw but a different way of living. It emphasized that fast isn't always better and highlighted the benefits of a measured pace of life. This realization made me accept myself more, acknowledging that I might not be productive in a conventional sense but that I could still enjoy life, breathe deeply, and live in the moment.

Slow life isn't for everyone, just as hyper-productivity isn't. My family, for instance, thrives on a fast pace. I believe slow life is ideal for those who feel incomplete due to their slowness, who feel exhausted by the constant race, and who want to enjoy everyday moments without proving anything to anyone.

If you want to try slow living but don't know how to start, here are some tips:

1. Escape to Nature: Spend a day or two, or even three, in nature without connectivity. Be alone or with someone you can share silence with. The quiet will help you reflect.

2. Reflect Deeply: Dedicate a day to reflect on your life. Visualize how you want to live, who you love, and who you want to distance from. Identify what matters most to you and what you want to stop doing.

3. Filter Information: Unsubscribe from uninteresting accounts, reduce social media time, and avoid background noise like constant videos.

4. Embrace Silence: Avoid always having music on when alone. Learn to listen to silence, your thoughts, and the sounds around you.

5. Filter Relationships: Better to be alone than with people who don't truly value you. Having a few close friends is better than many superficial ones.

6. Redefine Success: Society often equates success with wealth, but real success is about balance and harmony in all life aspects. Recognize that sacrificing everything for so-called success isn’t worth it.

7. Stop Comparing: Your value isn’t determined by earnings, likes, or followers. You are amazing just as you are.

I also recommend reading Erich Fromm's "To Have or To Be," which explores these themes in depth. Live the way you want and seek happiness in your own way.

• Like 1

Thank you, it is great to know that my thoughts resonate. It was catalyzed by a simple yet powerful comment: "You do it slowly, but you do it better than anyone." Over time, I started to see the benefits of my slower pace - better quality work, deeper enjoyment of activities, and reduced stress. This philosophy values quality over speed, further reinforced this change. I gradually stopped seeing my pace as a deficiency and instead recognized it as a unique trait that contributes to my well-being and happiness.

and one more, I started recognizing my careful nature as a strength instead of a flaw changed everything for me.

• Like 1

I used to be a marketing executive, constantly overwhelmed by deadlines. My weekends were spent recovering from the exhaustion of the week. Deciding to change, I embraced slow living, which transformed my life in simple but profound ways.

Each morning, I set aside ten minutes for quiet reflection with a cup of tea. This practice grounded me before the day’s chaos. I limited my digital distractions by setting specific times to check emails and social media, which helped me focus on real-life interactions.

I reconnected with hobbies like painting and baking, dedicating Sundays to these activities. Spending time in nature became a weekend habit, providing a refreshing break and helping me slow down.

At work, I stopped multitasking, focusing on one task at a time, which reduced my stress and increased my productivity. I simplified my schedule, cutting out non-essential commitments and learning to say no.

Creating daily rituals, such as morning stretching and bedtime reading, brought structure and tranquility to my days. These changes made me more relaxed and fulfilled, proving that embracing slow living can enhance both work and personal life.

If you’re overwhelmed by a fast-paced lifestyle, try these steps. They helped me find peace and enjoyment, and I believe they can do the same for you.

I used to think that slow living meant being lazy or unambitious. I believed that if I slowed down, I’d accomplish less and fall behind. But seems I was wrong. I also thought slow living was only for those who could afford to not work or had fewer responsibilities. But that’s not true. I'm a busy man, and by making small changes (for instance participate in this forum), I managed to slow down. I set aside quiet moments each morning, limited my time on social media, and picked up hobbies I loved. These changes didn’t require a complete lifestyle overhaul - just a commitment to living more mindfully.

Hi all, I would like to share my personal story and my thoughts to the topic. Hope you like it.

I called it  - Embracing Your Unique Rhythm in a World Obsessed with Speed

Have you ever felt like you're in a never-ending race, constantly trying to keep up with everyone around you? It's a common feeling, especially when we see others on social media unboxing new gadgets, receiving awards, building businesses, hitting the gym, creating families, getting married, and traveling the world. It's easy to feel like you're standing still, watching life pass by while everyone else seems to be achieving so much.

But let me share a little secret with you: this race is an illusion. It's something we've created in our minds, and it only exists because we believe in it. If you take a moment to step outside early in the morning, walk through a forest or park, or simply stroll for 15 minutes in the crisp morning air, you'll notice that life itself isn't rushing. Life flows naturally, adjusting to different angles, obstacles, and circumstances without needing a constant push.

Living life doesn't require us to speed up; it just requires us to live. Whether you prefer a fast pace or a slower one, the key is to find what makes you comfortable. In this reflection, I want to explore how to find your own rhythm, how to live according to your own script rather than proving something to others. If you're interested, stay with me, and let's delve into this journey together.

Finding Grounding

Most of us start feeling the stress wave from Sunday night, preparing ourselves for the upcoming week's work, meetings, and targets. This often pulls us into a frantic race from the get-go. However, I’ve found a way to minimize this negativity at both the beginning and end of the week. For me, comfort doesn't start on Monday but on Friday by working from home. You can discuss this arrangement with your company, or even if you're at the office, create a cozy, relaxed environment. 

Avoid scheduling meetings or interviews on these days, if possible, and give yourself time to ease into the workweek and wind down from it. If working from home isn't an option, allow yourself to be less active on Mondays and Fridays. Accept this as a fact, and don’t demand the impossible from yourself on these days. Acting in a way that benefits you will make your work smoother and help you avoid burnout.

The Power of Reading

Recently, at an Ayurveda seminar, I heard a wonderful phrase from a Hatha Yoga teacher: "Instagram is like a buffet you can never taste." Imagine a round table filled with food that rotates endlessly, but you can't actually eat anything. This is similar to how Instagram works; we consume endless images but gain no real nourishment. Many people search for happiness on Instagram, seeking fulfillment, but it’s often a deceptive path.

Reading books, on the other hand, allows us to focus for extended periods. Unlike social media, you can't swipe up or switch to another book quickly. You immerse yourself in one story, calming your mind and slowing down. I'm currently reading "And the Mountains Echoed," and if you're unsure what to read next, consider this an excellent recommendation.

Morning Walks or Fresh Air Activities

In a recent Instagram live session, nutritionist Nastya Goloborodko emphasized the importance of morning walks or 15 minutes of fresh air activities. Despite many people engaging in physical activities at the gym, they often forget the basic need for fresh air. 

We usually rush from home to our cars or public transport, heading straight to work without taking a moment to breathe in the fresh air. While walking an extra subway station is beneficial, it doesn’t compare to a morning walk or a light jog in the park. Our bodies need fresh air, especially in the morning. During winter, the air is crisp and clean, revitalizing us for the day ahead. Try it, and you'll feel the difference.

Taking Responsibility for Yourself

Every day, we bear the responsibility for everything around us – work, projects, friends, and family. We often believe we can make everyone happy or unhappy with our mood, but this isn't the case. We strive to be perfect, productive, and please everyone, but rarely consider if it’s necessary for us. 

Taking responsibility only for yourself, your life, beliefs, and reactions can make life significantly easier. While it may be hard to accept that we're not the center of others' universes, we are the center of our own. This shift in perspective can relieve a lot of unnecessary pressure.

Discovering Your Own Rhythm

Understanding your own rhythm is crucial for stepping out of the relentless race. Pay attention to when you feel most comfortable – do you like getting up immediately or need some time in bed? Is morning running your thing, or do you prefer yoga by an open window and an evening walk? 

Tracking your feelings is a reliable way to discover your personal rhythm and comfort. Be a healthy egoist and live your life, not someone else’s. I'm learning to do this myself, and I invite you to join me. Let's just live, which is the simplest and yet the most profound thing we can do.

and one more...

One day, while boating in Amsterdam with a glass of wine, I vividly envisioned the life I want to live. It wasn’t filled with countless business meetings or hectic projects. It was about family, home, personal growth through my work or projects, traveling, reading, and cozy family evenings. These are common desires, yet we often forget them. So, let’s just live. I believe we can do it.