Audio version of the post:

Imagine being able to pick up any book, read it, and recall almost everything you learned. This super memory might sound like science fiction, but many people demonstrate incredible information retention abilities. Unfortunately, I'm not one of them. I've read hundreds of books, blogs, and articles, but when it's time to recall something, I often draw a blank. Determined to address this weakness, I turned to the wisdom of some of the world's smartest individuals. In this text, you'll learn how to integrate the most effective memory techniques into your life.

Think about a book you read last year, whether for study or work. Can you recall at least five facts from it? Could you summarize the book to someone else? Let's test this out on myself. For instance, "Steal Like an Artist" suggests that a creative person finds inspiration in others, so you need to "steal like an artist." However, this book is fresh in my mind. Now, what was I talking about? Oh, right, about how great ideas are simple and easy to understand. That's all I remember. Despite reading "The 48 Laws of Power" just a month ago, I can't recall a single law. It's often futile to read non-fiction, especially self-help books, if you're not ready to absorb and implement the advice.

Upon investigating, I found that memory retention varies significantly from person to person. Some people have terrible memories, others exceptional, and some even possess photographic memory. As you might guess, the average memory is often shallow and unreliable. We tend to remember events that involve intense sensory experiences, like getting hit by a ball. However, the chances of recalling an interesting moment from a self-help book are slim. So, how do we level the playing field?

I sought advice from an expert. I read online that you've read 3,000 books. Is that true? "I don't know," he replied, "it's like asking how many partners someone has had. Not really a question I can answer." Ryan Holiday, the author of international bestsellers like "The Obstacle Is the Way" and "Ego Is the Enemy," has an incredible memory. When I interviewed him in 2019, I was amazed by his ability to juggle quotes and stories from books he had read over the years. "Eisenhower mentioned this," he'd say. "William James talked about that." He often quotes Blaise Pascal, Buddha, Marcus Aurelius, Seneca, and Confucius. I needed to know his secret, so I reached out to him.

One of the main reasons for our conversation today is that I struggle to remember anything from non-fiction books. How can I learn to recall what I've read and apply these ideas in my life? Ryan advised lowering the stakes. "If you manage to pull one or two actionable insights from a book, it can change your life. Paying $11 for a book is a small price for two game-changing takeaways, right?"

Many people think, "I can't remember anything," but a book is a journey. Even pulling a few nuggets of wisdom is worthwhile. Ryan shared a method he learned from working with Robert Greene, a fantastic writer. He marks interesting pages and makes notes, highlighting what resonates with him. Then, he transcribes these highlights onto index cards, organizing the information by themes. This method allows him to catalog all the useful content from a book into specific categories.

I decided to test Ryan's system with his book "The Obstacle Is the Way." Armed with a highlighter, pen, sticky tabs, and a stack of index cards, I dove in. Ryan's system can be broken down into three steps: taking notes while reading, reviewing and correcting notes after reading, and categorizing notes. This method is effective because it helps our brains retain information in what's known as explicit memory, a type of long-term memory associated with remembering facts and events.

Ryan's approach, known as the heuristic method of learning, allows prioritizing information based on its frequency of use: often used, recently used, or needed for decision-making. Becoming a master reader involves engaging deeply with the book, making notes, and applying the information. Ryan prefers physical books over digital or audiobooks because the tangible experience enhances memory retention.

I read "The Obstacle Is the Way" thoroughly, extracting heaps of valuable insights. Although I read slowly, implementing Ryan's system made me slow down even more, by about 30-40%. I hope this effort pays off in terms of better memory retention. Next, I transferred the best ideas, quotes, and stories onto index cards. This methodical process took time, but it was worth it.

Organizing these notes by categories made me realize that we don't remember things randomly. Systematizing and organizing notes by sections, themes, and topics is crucial. Although it might be too early to judge the long-term impact on my memory, I feel I've made significant progress. I've learned that while you can't remember everything, you can create mental labels that make recalling information easier.

If you're wondering if I'll continue using this method, I probably will, adapting it to my needs. Whether you prefer Ryan's analog system or a digital approach, the key is to start. It's better to begin imperfectly than be paralyzed by the illusion of perfection. Ryan's system, refined over years, works for him and makes him better. 

Thank you for reading! If you enjoyed this, subscribe to the channel and hit the bell icon to stay updated. My journey into the world of memory and learning systems is just beginning. Soon, I'll release a video on building a "second brain" using a digital ecosystem of apps to manage information.

@Monk My frustration with forgetting key points from the countless books I've read drove me to find better methods. I wanted to ensure that the time spent reading would result in long-lasting knowledge and practical insights. Seeing how effortlessly others, like Ryan Holiday, could recall information motivated me to improve my memory retention.

@Super Ryan Holiday's system involves marking interesting sections while reading and then transferring those notes onto index cards organized by themes. This method not only helps in retaining information but also in quickly accessing it later. Traditional methods often involve highlighting and marginal notes, but they lack the systematic organization that Ryan’s method offers.

@Monk The biggest challenge was the time commitment and the initial slowdown in my reading pace. It felt tedious at times, but reminding myself of the long-term benefits kept me motivated. Breaking the process into manageable chunks and focusing on the value of quality over quantity helped me stay on track.

In my experience, it is often difficult to remember information from non-fiction books. Non-fiction books usually present complex ideas and require deeper cognitive engagement, which can be mentally taxing. Additionally, without a systematic approach to note-taking and review, our brains struggle to retain the vast amount of information. Emotional engagement and sensory experiences play a significant role in memory, which non-fiction books often lack compared to real-life experiences.

Do you believe physical books are more effective for memory retention than digital or audiobooks? Why or why not?

• Like 1

@Olga thanks for your question. From my experience and Ryan Holiday's insights, physical books do seem more effective for memory retention. The tactile experience of turning pages, making physical notes, and the lack of digital distractions contribute to better focus and engagement. However, digital and audiobooks have their place, especially for convenience and accessibility.

@Super Start by setting aside dedicated reading time, even if it's just 15-30 minutes daily. Use tools like highlighters and sticky notes to mark key points during reading. Allocate time each week to review and organize notes into a system, such as index cards or a digital equivalent. Consistency and routine are key to integrating these techniques into a busy schedule.

There was a question from my colleague I would like to answer here as well: 

What role does critical thinking play in the process of improving memory retention for reading?

So, Critical thinking is crucial as it involves actively engaging with the material, questioning assumptions, and making connections with existing knowledge. This deeper level of cognitive processing enhances understanding and retention. By critically evaluating the content and summarizing key points, you strengthen the neural pathways related to the information.

I also recommend you guys to read our posts related to critical thinking, they really help.

Yes, I plan to experiment with blending analog and digital methods, such as using apps to organize notes taken from physical books. I'll also explore mnemonic devices and spaced repetition to enhance long-term retention. Continuous learning from experts in the field and adapting their strategies to fit my needs will be key to ongoing improvement.

Also recommend you to read my post about continues learning technics: