Audio version of the post:

Miyamoto Musashi - The Story of a Samurai

Who was the first person to unravel the secret of anxiety? Miyamoto Musashi, the legendary wandering samurai, transformed into one of the deepest thinkers of his time. He was not only a master swordsman but also triumphed over an enemy familiar to many of us: anxiety. 

In our modern age, anxiety is a daily companion for many. This invisible, unpredictable, and overwhelming opponent infiltrates our lives without warning. However, as Musashi's lessons show, anxiety is not an all-powerful foe but a challenger that can be understood and outwitted. Today, you will not only learn the four steps to overcome anxiety but also become acquainted with the ten life precepts that Musashi adhered to throughout his life.

Musashi's Life and Philosophy

Musashi's life was filled with dangers and battles that required not only physical endurance but incredible mental discipline. In his treatises, such as "The Book of Five Rings," he emphasized that internal battles are as crucial as sword fights. Every opponent on the battlefield deserved respect, but Musashi taught that deep understanding of one's mind and recognition of one's fears is key to developing strategies to overcome them.

Understanding Anxiety Through Musashi's Eyes

Musashi's wisdom teaches us that preparation and planning can turn anxiety into confidence. He said, "He who knows the Way broadly will see it in everything." This principle highlights the importance of thorough comprehension and readiness. Musashi, a master strategist, believed that anticipating difficulties and responding effectively to them minimizes anxiety. This philosophy is applicable not only to martial arts but to any life challenge, whether it be a significant interview, business meeting, or personal project.

Step One: Acknowledgment

Musashi taught that acknowledging anxiety as part of our existence makes it more manageable. He approached anxiety analysis like strategic planning before a duel. Just as it is crucial to study the terrain, timing, and tactics of an opponent before battle, it is essential to examine the sources of anxiety, understand one's reactions, and prepare counter-strategies. This strategic approach transforms anxiety into a challenge that can be overcome.

Step Two: Achievements

Celebrate every achievement, no matter how small, as these successes bolster your ability to cope with difficulties. This method fosters productive thinking and reduces anxiety, replacing the fear of stagnation with the joy of continuous accomplishments. Musashi often emphasized the acceptance of life's transience, which he found liberating. This acceptance allows us to live in the present, unafraid of the future and unburdened by the past.

Musashi's Precepts

Before his death, Musashi left behind a set of precepts for his disciples, known as "The Way of Walking Alone." These sixteen principles include:

1. Do not seek pleasure for its own sake.
2. Be indifferent to where you live.
3. Do not pursue the taste of good food.
4. Do not hold on to possessions you no longer need.
5. Do not act following customary beliefs.
6. Do not collect weapons or practice with weapons beyond what is useful.
7. Do not fear death.
8. Do not seek to possess either goods or fiefs for your old age.
9. Respect Buddha and the gods without counting on their help.
10. You may abandon your own body but you must preserve your honor.
11. Never stray from the Way.

These precepts highlight the importance of a purposeful life, free from the shadows of undefined fears and uncontrolled actions.

Step Three: Meditation

Meditation was a key element of Musashi's philosophy. It helps develop mental discipline and calmness necessary to overcome anxiety. Dedicate time each day to meditate, delve into yourself, free yourself from external distractions, and tune into your inner sensations and thoughts. This practice will enable you to find answers to internal questions, develop mindfulness, and create an inner balance that will help you face anxiety and life's challenges with confidence and clarity.

Step Four: Preparation and Planning

Musashi's successes and failures were accompanied by grace and composure due to his exceptional commitment to preparation. He meticulously planned every aspect he could control before his duels. This philosophy, known as "The Way," emphasizes the power of comprehensive understanding and preparation, allowing one to foresee difficulties and respond effectively, minimizing anxiety.

Personal Story: Applying Musashi's Principles

Allow me to share my personal journey of overcoming anxiety. My dream was to share ideas and thoughts through YouTube, engaging with a community of like-minded individuals. However, as my channel grew, so did the pressure. Expectations for each video created excitement and anticipation, but soon, numbers began to dictate my mood. I obsessively checked views and likes, and when they didn’t meet my expectations, often hovering around 5000 views, it led to severe anxiety and self-doubt. The joy of creating content was overshadowed by the stress of not achieving perceived success. It was a tough period filled with uncertainty and disappointments. 

During this time, I discovered Musashi and his approach to life and challenges. His wisdom deeply resonated with my struggles with anxiety and its overcoming. He taught that the real battle happens within us, as we manage our anxieties, expectations, and reactions to external circumstances. His advice to accept things as they are and his emphasis on preparation and self-improvement became a beacon of change in my approach.

I started shifting my focus from outcomes to mastering my craft. I delved deep into topics, genuinely engaged with my audience, and honed my video production skills. I meticulously prepared for each video, not to chase views, but to share valuable, well-crafted content. This shift didn't happen overnight. It required practice, patience, and determination to stay true to my path, similar to a samurai's disciplined approach. Over time, this samurai mindset helped me overcome anxiety. Now, I approach my channel with Musashi's mindset, focusing on my craft rather than the results. The anxiety that once clouded my vision has significantly diminished. I realized that success on YouTube, or any other endeavor, doesn’t come from constant worry about outcomes but from a deep commitment to the craft and a serene acceptance of whatever results may come.

This personal evolution not only improved my channel but also enriched me with new meanings. My journey taught me valuable lessons in resilience, determination, and inner peace. Just like Musashi, we can all learn to face our anxieties with dignity and turn our challenges into opportunities for growth. Let’s continue the legacy of this great warrior by focusing on our passions and allowing the results to follow naturally.