Audio version of the post:

Why Bother Getting Up Early?

Why get up early? Why take an icy, scalding shower first thing in the morning? Why train until you’re utterly exhausted? Why run so much? Why work so hard? Why go through all this suffering? Because a great Stoic philosopher, Epictetus or Marcus Aurelius, said it's the right thing to do.

I used to push myself daily, striving for muscles, money, and success. The only thing I achieved was burnout. My nervous system was so exhausted that even when I genuinely wanted to work out or get things done, I couldn’t. My energy would drain rapidly, and I felt like a failure, wanting to give up entirely. 

All this discipline, self-control, and rigid adherence to rules can mess with your head. Instead of cleaning out the junk, we walk around with it cluttering our minds, believing that being disciplined is inherently good. But why, then, does life not improve despite being so disciplined?

Finding True Balance - I am here to wash away that brainwashing and replace it with the right knowledge. Even those who preach discipline admit it doesn’t work unless you know how to use your brain effectively. That's what I learned to do. Now, I train intensely, read smart books, and work hard—all without burning out. If you tried to compete with me in my element now, you’d lose because you’d be forcing yourself, while I genuinely enjoy it.

Three Life-Changing Methods - I have three methods that can change your life. They will make you remember them forever, even pass them down to your grandchildren.

Manipulation of Perception

To understand this, listen to a story. Did you know that wars were fought over salt, something that’s now just sitting in your kitchen? In ancient Rome, during Ancius Marcius’s reign, salt was so valuable that it was called "white gold." Rome had a monopoly on salt production, and it was so scarce and hard to extract that people traded it for gold. But once salt became easier to produce, its price dropped dramatically.

The usefulness of salt never changed, but our emotional response to it did. This change in perception is crucial. The benefit we derive from something is linked to our subjective experience and emotions. In our modern world, we no longer want things because there’s so much abundance. Just like adding too much salt ruins a dish, an overabundance of stimuli diminishes our desire for anything.

The Hormone of Desire

Dopamine isn’t just a happiness hormone; it’s a wanting hormone. It fuels our motivation. But in today’s world, with everything so readily available, we’ve stopped wanting. To restore your focus and drive, create artificial scarcity in your life. Eliminate distractions and unnecessary apps, like I did, keeping only what’s essential. This way, you can want and achieve more in the real world.

The Power of Physical and Mental Health - Physical health significantly impacts mental well-being. I want to be strong because my body is a crucial part of who I am. I aim to become a Master of Sport in kettlebell lifting, which represents my strength. When I train, every repetition makes me physically and mentally stronger. Eliminating distractions lets me focus entirely on my workout, finding joy in the process.

Loving the Process - Reading is another passion. People often ask how to make themselves read more. Forcing yourself is counterproductive. You need to want to read. Remove distractions, create a conducive environment, and immerse yourself in the book. Imagine learning strategies directly from Julius Caesar’s writings or absorbing the philosophical depths of Victor Hugo.

Overcoming Challenges - Motivation can wane, and that's when you need to ask yourself, "What do I want more?" It's about weighing long-term benefits against short-term desires. Let’s break this down with a concrete example: wanting to eat a burger. Read my post or watch a video about The Intrinsic Motivation.

The Short-Term Desire: Eating a Burger - You smell the delicious aroma, see the juicy patty, and your mouth waters. The temptation is strong, and you can already imagine the taste of the grilled bun, the melted cheese, and the savory barbecue sauce. In the moment, it feels like indulging will bring immense pleasure.

The Long-Term Goal: Health and Fitness - Now, consider the reasons not to eat the burger:

1. Nutritional Content: Burgers are often high in unhealthy fats, calories, and low-quality carbohydrates. Consuming them regularly can lead to weight gain, increased cholesterol levels, and other health issues.

2. Physical State: After eating a burger, you might feel sluggish and lethargic. If you have plans to spend quality time with loved ones or need to respond quickly to a work situation, being in a food coma won’t help.

3. Personal Standards: You strive for high standards in everything you do, including what you put into your body. Eating a mass-produced, low-quality burger doesn’t align with those standards.

4. Skin Health: You’ve struggled with acne before, and junk food can trigger breakouts. Maintaining clear skin is important to you, and avoiding such foods helps.

5. Physical Appearance: Consuming excessive salt can cause water retention, making you look puffy and less attractive. This matters if you’re on camera or meeting people.

6. Long-Term Health: Your goal is to be healthy and active for your future children. Poor dietary choices now could impact your ability to be there for them in the future.

Making the Right Choice - When you lay out these reasons, it becomes clear that not eating the burger aligns more closely with your long-term goals. By focusing on these deeper motivations, the short-term pleasure of eating the burger pales in comparison to the long-term benefits of maintaining your health, energy levels, and appearance.

Final Thoughts - Understand that controlling your mind is key to controlling your life. Like the Romans, who triumphed through intelligence and planning, mastering your mind will allow you to shape your reality. Remove unnecessary distractions, focus on what truly matters, and your life can transform. 

Subscribe and stay tuned for more insights. I'm here to help you change your life, and I believe in you.