Let's run a little experiment. Think back to the most useful book you read at least six months ago. Take a moment, even pause this video if you need to, and try to recall it. Got it? Maybe you can even remember some key points? If not, don't worry—you understood and remembered it perfectly while reading. 

Relax; forgetting is normal. Most people don't use special techniques to retain information, and this happens for two reasons. First, there's the forgetting curve. Hermann Ebbinghaus described it in detail. In short, the more time passes after learning something new, the more information you forget. About 80% of what you read can be forgotten within the first 24 hours. That’s a huge problem, right?

Secondly, we're constantly bombarded with information. We process and read thousands of words daily—notifications, ads, work chats, documents—all pouring in from every direction. Back in 2009, American scientists estimated that the average person processes about 100,000 words daily. By 2017, researchers from the University of Melbourne found that people who watched one specific talk show weekly could recall it better after 140 days than those who watched multiple shows.

The takeaway? Be selective with your reading material and use memory techniques. Personally, I don't have much time for fiction anymore, even though I used to love it. Now, I focus on practical and useful non-fiction. To remember what I read, I use some simple techniques. While these methods won’t turn you into Sherlock Holmes, they will significantly improve your reading efficiency.

Prepare Yourself for Reading

This is crucial, especially when exploring a new topic or when you know the information will be useful. Intentional reading engages your brain, which tends to be lazy and easily distracted. Decide in advance when and why you will read. Do you want to become smarter to achieve something? Develop a skill? Earn more money? Outshine a colleague? Expand your horizons? Improve a hobby? Answer these questions, and you’re halfway there. Avoid reading complex books when you're tired, as it won't be effective.

Take Notes as if for Someone Else

After reading a chapter, jot down the main points. Audrey Vandermeer from the Norwegian University of Science and Technology found that handwriting notes activates the brain more than typing them. If you do use a computer or tablet, try not to reference the book while note-taking. This forces you to recall and consolidate what you've read. Don’t obsess over taking notes on everything—focus on reinforcing new neural connections by summarizing key insights.

Share What You've Learned

If you can’t explain it to someone else, you probably don’t understand it well yourself. Discuss the book or explain it to someone shortly after reading. This reinforces new neural pathways. The effort your brain puts into recalling and organizing the information makes it more valuable and memorable. You can also share your thoughts in a blog or even just in your notes.

Engage Your Inner Critic

Approach the material with a critical eye, like a literary critic looking for flaws. This activates cognitive functions rather than passively absorbing information. 

Ask Questions

Instead of taking traditional notes, ask yourself questions before, during, and after reading. What do you want to gain from the book? How will you apply the information? Can you explain it to someone else? If not, go back and review or use other techniques.

Be Visual

If you're more of a visual learner, create sketches and diagrams. Draw connections and associations. Studies have shown that the quality of the drawings doesn't matter—what’s important is that they help you remember.

It's Okay to Pause

If a book doesn’t make sense right away, it might be too advanced for you at the moment. Set it aside and read related material from blogs or articles, or look up unfamiliar terms. The next time you approach it, it will be easier.

These techniques might seem simple, but that’s their danger—you might forget to use them. Try incorporating at least a few into your routine and see what works best for you. The key is to start applying them.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve actually found these strategies really useful in my own reading practice. I’ve tried to shift my focus towards practical, non-fiction books as well (Books I don’t really enjoy reading), and found that taking notes by hand has helped me retain key points better. I also ultimately end up enjoying it more. One thing that is very helpful as well, was asking questions and creating visual aids. Sometimes, if a book is too dense, I’ll set it aside and come back to it later once I have more background knowledge on it. 

I'd love to know if you've tried any of these techniques and which works best for you?

• Like 2

Hi @Anri I’ve tried a few of these techniques myself. Taking notes as if I’m explaining to someone else has been incredibly helpful. It forces me to process the information more deeply rather than just passively reading. And like you, I’ve found that asking questions really helps, especially when I’m trying to connect new ideas with things I already know. The only thing...it takes more time than just reading, so you need to be ready to it.

Visual aids are something I’m working on incorporating more. They’re especially useful for complex topics or when trying to remember how different concepts relate to each other. As for setting books aside, I agree—it’s important to know when to pause and come back with a fresh perspective. It’s a lot more effective than trying to power through when something just isn’t clicking.

• Like 1