a power of actionThere's a wall between your current life and the life you dream of living. That wall is your mindset. 

I once found myself in a life-or-death situation, and a single thought saved me. It divided my life into "before" and "after." Now, I want to share that thought with you. Trust me, I understand how you feel. Watching others achieve the goals you’ve set for yourself can be incredibly frustrating. It’s disheartening to see your potential wasted on distractions and actions that lead nowhere.

Three years ago, I hit rock bottom. My finances were dwindling, and I spent my days at home, squandering my potential on what I thought were the right actions but ultimately led to nothing. It felt like my life was crumbling while I watched helplessly, a passive observer of my own downfall. 

Then, something life-changing happened. One day, while climbing a mountain, the weather turned, and ice formed on the rocks. Every step could have been my last. Panic gripped our group, but half of us pushed through. 

In that moment of psychological agony, a thought was born:

Our goals often seem as distant and challenging as that mountain peak. The actions we take towards them don't yield immediate results but demand our time, energy, and resources. This pressure can be paralyzing, leading to inaction and increasing procrastination.

Procrastination is merely inertia - a habit of inaction. To break free, you need to start a new inertia: the inertia of action.

On that mountain, my girlfriend had her first panic attack. I needed to act, and instinctively, I told her something that has since become my mantra: "Focus on the next step." Forget the distance left to cover; concentrate on the step right in front of you.

This simple yet profound advice helped her move, one step at a time, until we reached the summit. Want to run 5 kilometers every day at 6 AM? Start by stepping outside today. Want to post 30 blog entries in a month? Write one. Can't even do that? Find three good examples and try to replicate them.

Any action, no matter how small, can generate the momentum you need. Clean a dish, do ten push-ups, or just step outside. Paradoxically, every action you take will increase your energy. The more you act, the more your body prepares for future actions.

This text itself is a small step towards my dream of an amazing community.

You too can change your reality step by step, transforming thoughts into actions and closing the gap between your current life and the one you dream of. This mindset didn't instantly turn me into a billionaire, but it gave me something more valuable: a tool to change my life. 

So, always ask yourself, "What step can I take right now?" and just do it. One step at a time, and soon, you’ll find yourself at your goal. 

Remember, the journey is built on these small steps. So, what’s your next step? Take it now.

• 3 weeks later...

a guide to fight procrastinationWhy Do We Keep Procrastinating?

Procrastination can feel strangely comforting, as if we are constantly waiting for the perfect moment to arrive. It’s like we're stacking things up, hoping that a magical time will come when everything just clicks. But often, that time never arrives, and tasks keep piling up.

So, what do you do when you don’t even know where to start with a task?

Here’s a simple but often overlooked suggestion: just take the first step. Don’t think too far ahead; focus on that initial action. When you start moving, you gain a clearer idea of what’s needed to complete the task. Standing on the sidelines, overthinking, will never give you the clarity or motivation to move forward. It’s the action itself that brings the insight.

Many of us struggle with doing what’s “necessary” because it feels imposed upon us. Ask yourself what “necessary” really means. Often, it’s something we’ve internalized from others—something we think we “should” do because someone said so. The real key is preparing your mind to want to engage with the task. Your brain needs to be on board, and it will only be if you set the stage properly. Without internal agreement, you’re just forcing yourself, which is rarely effective.

Benjamin Franklin famously advised, “Don’t put off until tomorrow what you can do today.” Why does this resonate so deeply? Franklin was a disciplined figure, but he wasn’t immune to human flaws. The point isn’t about forcing yourself into action; it’s about aligning your actions with your personal rhythm and natural tendencies. You shouldn’t feel compelled to rush into everything, but it’s crucial to cultivate a sense of readiness. This readiness grows organically, often through small, consistent actions.

If you’re procrastinating out of fear—fear of failure, fear of judgment—understand that this isn’t a sustainable path. Action born out of fear often feels hollow. The true motivation needs to come from within, from a sense of maturity and readiness that builds up over time. Sometimes, that moment of readiness is today; other times, it might be tomorrow. And that’s okay. 

We often find ourselves racing against deadlines, only to end up doing everything in a panicked rush at the last minute. To combat this cycle, set your own deadlines earlier than the actual ones. This simple shift can help you manage your time better and reduce the stress of last-minute crunches. A Nobel laureate once developed the “planning fallacy,” which explains why we often underestimate the time required to complete tasks. By setting earlier deadlines, you give yourself the margin you need to get things done on time without the stress.

Regularly reviewing your life can also help you stop postponing things. This doesn’t have to be a big, dramatic process—just take some time to mentally lay out what’s happening in your life. This kind of reflection can spark the urge to act, even if it’s just to get started in a rough, draft-like way. It’s perfectly natural and healthy to want to change things in your life; it’s a sign that you’re engaged and willing to grow.

Do I procrastinate? Of course, I do. I’ve been putting off writing a book about mindset. I’ve had this great idea, but life keeps pulling me in all directions. I have a clear vision, yet I’m torn between the demands of the moment and the time I need to create something meaningful. It’s not about procrastination as much as it is about the struggle to find space amidst life’s constant demands. 

As for fighting the urge to delay, I’ve trained myself not to think of it as procrastination. Instead, I look at it as prioritizing. For example, I often put off reading a book I’m excited about because other tasks demand my immediate attention. I still want to read it—it’s just that life has its own timeline, and sometimes you need to adjust.

Delaying things can lead to serious issues, especially when it comes to major life decisions. I’ve seen it firsthand with my patients—putting things off until the last moment can escalate into significant problems. In my own life, I’ve experienced the consequences of delaying decisions that required my attention. My health suffered at times because I prioritized work over self-care, thinking I could handle it all later. But those “later” moments have a way of catching up with you.

For anyone struggling with procrastination, here’s a key takeaway: procrastination isn’t a condition; it’s often a sign of internal resistance or immaturity towards taking necessary action. To counter this, cultivate interest and knowledge about what you need to do. Engage your mind and let it grow accustomed to thinking about the task at hand. When you reach a critical mass of readiness, you’ll naturally move into action without the need for force.

Thoughts:

Procrastination is more than just a bad habit—it’s often tied to deeper psychological processes, like fear, lack of clarity, or feeling overwhelmed. It’s important to approach it with empathy and self-compassion rather than harsh self-criticism. Understanding why you procrastinate is half the battle; the other half is taking small, deliberate steps toward your goals. Instead of focusing on perfection, celebrate progress. Recognize that it’s okay to start messy and that the act of beginning, no matter how small, sets the stage for growth and success.

Don’t wait for life to happen; it’s happening right now, and you’re already equipped with everything you need to make the most of it.