Financial literacy has become a major trend in recent years, and people are increasingly striving to get their budgets in order. But no matter how many books you read or courses you take, if you continue making these six critical mistakes, you’ll never become wealthy. Today, I’m sharing insights drawn from my personal experience, which I’ve built up over many years. I like to say, "I’m a shoemaker with shoes," meaning I only share information I’ve personally put into practice.

The First Misstep: Rigid Budgeting Rules

One commonly touted budgeting rule is the 50-30-20 rule: allocate 50% of your income to necessities, 30% to discretionary spending, and save 20%. While this might sound like a simple solution, it’s actually pretty flawed. Why? Because it doesn’t account for individual circumstances. For someone earning 3,000 USD/EUR a month, sticking to these percentages can be impractical, while someone with a higher income might find themselves overspending on daily expenses.

Every household needs a budget tailored to its unique situation. Fixed formulas might offer some structure, but they often fail to address personal financial realities. In my experience, creating a budget that fits your specific needs and scenarios is crucial. It’s what helped me escape financial struggle and build savings.

If your current financial situation is challenging but you’re determined to improve it, give this video a thumbs up.

The Second Error: Overemphasizing Savings

Another common but misguided piece of advice is to save as much as possible, especially on groceries. Many people spend a significant portion of their income on food, and it’s true that lower-income households tend to allocate more of their budget to this category. However, overly focusing on saving money on groceries can backfire. In the long run, it might lead to higher health costs due to poor nutrition.

I’m not a fan of the term "savings" because it often implies deprivation. Instead, I advocate for optimizing expenses. Psychologically, it’s easier and more positive to think about optimizing rather than cutting back. Instead of fixating on pinching pennies, focus on increasing your income and strategically managing your spending.

Let’s gather some data: how much of your family budget goes toward food? Share your thoughts in the comments below.

The Third Fallacy: Car Cost Formulas

There’s a prevalent myth that your car should cost no more than three or five times your monthly salary, or a certain multiple of your annual income. This rule is unrealistic and often irrelevant, especially in Non-Western Rich countries, where the cost of a car might not align with such formulas. 

The real question is whether a car fits your specific needs and budget. Instead of following arbitrary rules, think critically about your lifestyle. Compare your current transportation costs, including time and money spent on public transit, with the costs of owning and maintaining a car. This personalized approach will help you determine what’s best for your financial situation.

The Fourth Myth: Avoiding Loans Entirely

Some people believe that all loans are bad and that true financial literacy means avoiding them altogether. I disagree. Loans can be beneficial if used wisely. For instance, taking out a loan to purchase a smartphone or laptop can be justified if it’s essential for your work. If a loan helps you acquire something that will boost your earning potential or reduce your costs (like a home loan with lower monthly payments than your rent), it can be a smart financial move.

The Fifth Misconception: Skipping Insurance

There’s a belief that insurance is a waste of money and that insurance companies are just out to scam you. While it’s true that some insurance products are unnecessary or overpriced, basic insurance can be crucial. For example, health insurance might save you a lot of money if you have frequent medical expenses. Similarly, property insurance is wise if you live in an area prone to natural disasters or other risks.

However, not all insurance is worth the cost. For instance, comprehensive car insurance might not be worth it if the policy is too expensive relative to its benefits.

The Most Critical Mistake: Neglecting Budget Management

The biggest blunder people make, especially those with lower incomes, is not keeping track of their budget. They think that because they don’t earn much, budgeting is unnecessary. But even small, untracked expenses can have a significant impact on a tight budget. 

Consider this: if you earn 3,000 USD/EUR and spend 30 EUR on a non-essential item, it’s a tiny fraction of your income. But if you earn 1,000 spending the same 30 EUR takes up a much larger percentage of your budget. It’s vital to manage your budget carefully and track expenses in relation to your income.

For those with higher incomes, it’s easy to become complacent and think that tracking expenses is unnecessary. However, even high earners should keep a close eye on their budget to avoid financial missteps.

In summary, regardless of your income level, monitoring and managing your finances is crucial. With high income, you might not need to track every single euro, but you should still manage your financial flows to ensure you stay on track and continue to build your wealth.

I also would like to recommend you a topic related to budgeting which can help you save money on esssential and non-essential purchases:

Customizing Your Budget: Moving Beyond One-Size-Fits-All Approaches

A few years ago, my family and I decided it was time to get serious about our finances. We were tired of feeling like our money was slipping through our fingers by the end of each month, so I turned to what seemed like the most logical solution: the 50-30-20 rule. It sounded simple—50% for necessities, 30% for discretionary spending, and 20% for savings. We thought, “Finally, a straightforward way to take control of our budget!”

But as we started applying the rule, reality hit us. We quickly realized that while the 50-30-20 rule looked good on paper, it didn’t exactly fit our life.

Let me explain. My spouse and I both work full-time, and we have two young kids. Like many families, our biggest expense was housing—our mortgage, utilities, and insurance easily ate up more than 50% of our combined income. Add to that childcare costs, which aren’t exactly optional, and we were already stretching the definition of “necessities” beyond that 50% limit. It wasn’t long before we found ourselves frustrated and anxious, wondering if we were doing something wrong.

The truth is, our situation isn’t unique. Many families face similar challenges—high housing costs, growing families, and unexpected expenses like medical bills or car repairs that throw the neat percentages of the 50-30-20 rule out the window. It became clear that we needed a different approach, one that reflected our specific needs and goals rather than a one-size-fits-all formula.

So, we decided to take a step back and really examine our finances. Here’s how we customized our budget to better fit our life:

Step 1: Analyse Your Income and Expenses

The first thing we did was sit down together and take a hard look at our income and expenses over the past few months. We listed out our combined income, including salaries and any other sources of money like bonuses or tax refunds. Then, we categorized our expenses into three main buckets: fixed, variable, and irregular.

- Fixed Expenses: These were the costs that didn’t change much month to month—our mortgage, utilities, insurance, and daycare fees. This gave us a clear picture of what our non-negotiable expenses were.

- Variable Expenses: These included things like groceries, gas, and entertainment—expenses that fluctuated but were still necessary.

- Irregular Expenses: Finally, we looked at things that didn’t occur every month but still needed to be planned for, like car maintenance, holiday gifts, or medical bills.

Step 2: Prioritise and Customize

Once we had a clear picture of where our money was going, we started prioritizing. We knew that housing, utilities, and childcare were essential, so we allocated a larger percentage of our income to these categories than the 50% the rule suggested. It meant we had to be more conscious of our discretionary spending, but we were okay with that—after all, those essentials kept our household running smoothly.

Next, we looked at our savings. We wanted to build an emergency fund and save for a family vacation, so we decided to allocate a bit more to savings than the standard 20%. We set up automatic transfers to our savings account right after payday, so we weren’t tempted to spend that money elsewhere.

We also made room for adjustments. We realized that some months were naturally more expensive, like when the kids started school or during the holiday season. We gave ourselves flexibility by setting aside a small buffer each month to cover these costs, rather than sticking rigidly to the rule.

Step 3: Track and Adjust Regularly

With our new budget in place, we began tracking our spending more closely. We used a simple spreadsheet to monitor how much we were spending in each category and made adjustments as needed. For example, we noticed that we were overspending on groceries because we weren’t meal planning effectively, so we worked on cutting back by creating a weekly meal plan and sticking to a shopping list.

We also reviewed our budget monthly to see if it still made sense. If we had an unexpected expense, like a medical bill, we adjusted our discretionary spending for the month to accommodate it. Over time, this regular check-in became a habit, and it helped us stay on track without feeling stressed or restricted.

Step 4: Focus on What Matters Most

In the end, the biggest lesson we learned was that budgeting isn’t about fitting into a predetermined mold—it’s about making your money work for you and your family’s needs. We let go of the pressure to stick to a rule that didn’t fit and instead created a budget that reflected our life. We prioritized what mattered most to us: keeping a roof over our heads, ensuring our kids were taken care of, and building a safety net for the future.

Leveraging Technology for Smarter Budgeting: Tools and Apps You Should Know

A couple of years ago, after yet another stressful month of trying to figure out where all our money had gone, I realized that our old way of budgeting just wasn’t cutting it anymore. Manually tracking every dollar spent was exhausting and left us feeling out of control. My spouse and I knew we needed a change—something that would help us manage our finances without turning it into a full-time job.

That’s when we decided to explore budgeting apps. At first, I was hesitant. I wasn’t sure how much help a piece of software could really offer, but I was ready to try anything that might make our financial life less chaotic.

The Best Budgeting Tools and Apps

I started by researching different apps and quickly found that there were a lot of great options, each catering to different needs:

- Mint was an easy choice because of its automatic categorization of transactions and its ability to track spending in real-time. It was like a breath of fresh air to have all our financial information in one place without having to input every transaction ourselves.

- You Need a Budget (YNAB) caught my eye with its focus on proactive budgeting—giving every dollar a job. The idea of planning our spending before the month even began felt empowering, and the community support was an added bonus.

- PocketGuard appealed to us for its simplicity. It boiled everything down to a single number: how much we had left to spend after covering our bills and goals. It was perfect for those days when we didn’t have time to dig into the details.

- Goodbudget offered a digital twist on the envelope system, which was something I remembered my parents using when I was a kid. It seemed like a great way to stay disciplined, especially for discretionary spending.

How These Tools Can Transform Your Budgeting

After trying a few different apps, we eventually settled on Mint. What I loved most was how it did the heavy lifting for us—tracking our spending, categorizing expenses, and even sending us alerts when we were getting close to our budget limits. It felt like we finally had a clear view of our finances without all the manual effort.

But even with Mint’s automation, it took some time to really integrate it into our daily life. Here’s how we made it work:

Tips for Integrating These Tools Into Your Daily Life

Start Small: When we first downloaded Mint, we didn’t jump in with both feet. Instead, we started small. For the first few weeks, we just used the app to track our spending. We didn’t worry about setting up a detailed budget right away. This helped us get comfortable with the app’s features without feeling overwhelmed.

Set Up Alerts: One of the features that really made a difference for us was the alerts. I set up notifications for upcoming bills, low balances, and when we were close to overspending in certain categories. These alerts kept us on track without the need to constantly check the app. It was like having a financial assistant tapping me on the shoulder, reminding me to stay focused.

Review Weekly: We made it a habit to sit down every Sunday evening and review our budget. It wasn’t a long, drawn-out process—just a quick 15-minute check-in. We looked at where we were spending, adjusted categories if needed, and made sure we were still on track. This weekly routine helped us catch any issues early, like when we started spending too much on takeout, and allowed us to course-correct before things got out of hand.

Automate Where You Can: One of the biggest game-changers for us was automation. We set up automatic transfers to our savings account right after payday, ensuring that our financial goals were prioritized. We also scheduled bill payments to avoid any late fees. With these tasks on autopilot, we didn’t have to worry about forgetting something important, and it freed up mental space for other things.

Customize Categories: Early on, I realized that the default categories in Mint didn’t quite fit our lifestyle. So, I took the time to customize them. We added categories that were specific to our needs, like one for the kids’ extracurricular activities and another for home maintenance. This made our budget feel more relevant and personalized, which in turn made it easier to stick to.

Choosing the Right Tool for Your Financial Goals

Each budgeting app has its strengths, and the best one for you depends on your financial goals and how you prefer to manage your money. For us, Mint offered the right balance of automation and control. But whether you choose Mint, YNAB, PocketGuard, or Goodbudget, the key is to find a tool that complements your lifestyle and helps you stay on top of your finances with minimal stress.

Conclusion

Technology has the power to transform the way we manage our money. With the right tools, budgeting becomes less of a chore and more of a seamless part of your daily routine. By starting small, setting up alerts, and customizing your budget to fit your life, you can take control of your finances and make progress toward your financial goals.

Have you integrated a budgeting app into your daily life? Which tools have worked best for you? Share your experiences and tips in the comments below!