Audio version of the post (you need to be a registered member for listening)

Typically, I start my day at 6 AM already dressed to save time. I do some stretches to wake up my body, followed by a cold shower to invigorate my senses. I mark my progress in my journal, which motivates me to continue my routine. Then, I go for a run while listening to a podcast. During the run, I also mentally prepare for the day's meetings and review my notes on key projects.

After my run, I drink water, as it's quick and doesn't require preparation. I jot down notes, brainstorm ideas for team projects, respond to emails, read and write reports, and review industry news. By 6:20 AM, I've accomplished a lot. I then dive into work, studying market trends, reading business strategy books, and writing up proposals for new initiatives. I plan team meetings, draft agendas, and continue to track my progress in my journal.

For breakfast, I stick to water to save time. I make voice notes while styling my hair, set up my workspace, and organize documents and files. By lunchtime, I drink more water for convenience and avoid unnecessary breaks. I mark more achievements in my journal, feeling accomplished.

In the afternoon, I dedicate time to personal development activities, including exercising. A life hack I use is reading self-development and productivity books while doing push-ups. During meetings, I engage in creative problem-solving and work on my abs, ensuring I also stimulate my mind. Afterward, I spend some time reviewing performance metrics, analyzing data, and tracking the productivity of my team.

I review my day, plan ahead, and analyze tasks for the next ten years. I mark my progress with pluses, checks, and stars. Suddenly, I remember it's New Year's Eve. I head to friends while meditating, buying gifts and groceries, and even preparing a salad while stuck in traffic. I make it on time to the celebration, proud of how productive my day has been. Looking ahead, I see a new year filled with even more plans, lists, and tasks, determined not to waste a single minute. My projects will improve, and I will become more successful, even if it means sacrificing friends, personal life, and hobbies. Instead, I will have stacks of read books, numerous journal entries, and new companions like burnout, anxiety, and a sense of unfulfilled achievements.

The Cult of Productivity

The cult of productivity and personal efficiency has gripped the world, becoming almost a religion. The priests of this faith are time management gurus and coaches. Its doctrines are mobile apps, reminders, and notes, followed by millions seeking self-improvement. The hype is fueled by tech leaders like Tim Cook, Elon Musk, Jeff Bezos, Bill Gates, and Pavel Durov, all advocates of extreme productivity. Online, productivity has gone viral. Instagram is flooded with bloggers advising on the right mindset, attire, and daily planning. YouTube is filled with videos about success, which, of course, is achieved through unrealistically productive work.

As we observe this, we fall victim to the fear of missing out (FOMO), seeing others accomplish more and assuming they live better lives. This is where productivity promises to solve these problems, but it often remains silent about the fact that productivity has no end. The more you do, the better, leading to negative consequences. For instance, you might optimize things that don't need optimizing, creating an illusion of efficiency. It may seem like you've accomplished a lot when in reality, time was wasted on meaningless statistics.

Potential Causes of the Problem

This state is typically caused by one of two reasons. First, you enjoy what you do, but your work is poorly organized. Genuine productivity, aimed at solving this problem, is overshadowed by a false, almost cult-like productivity that serves economic mechanisms created by shrewd individuals manipulating our vulnerable position. This may sound vague, but we'll delve into why this happens and how to solve it. Second, you dislike what you do. Even if you replace false productivity with real productivity, it won't improve. The bitter truth is that in such a case, the only solution is to change professions or pursue what genuinely interests you. Believe me, I know how hard this can be. I have a whole video about it.

Demonstrative Production

American economist Thorstein Veblen in his book "The Theory of the Leisure Class" uses the term "conspicuous consumption," referring to the acquisition of unnecessary goods for social approval. This phenomenon emerged in America during the Gilded Age in the 1870s and 1880s when the U.S. economy seemed to take off after the Civil War. A magazine article I read claimed that our time could be called the Gilded Age, where conspicuous consumption is replaced by conspicuous production. Now, to gain social status, you don't need to flaunt your wealth—just work a lot.

In 2016, a popular hashtag #WorkHarder emerged in Western countries, highlighting this phenomenon. It's ironic because research shows that working more than 35 hours a week significantly reduces the productivity everyone is chasing. Working over 50 hours a week severely impacts physical and mental health. So, here are three scenarios: either these Instagram workaholics are lying, they'll soon suffer from unrealistic workloads, or they're victims of illusory productivity, wasting most of their time on neither work nor rest. And yes, there were three options.

I bet you also engage in conspicuous production, even if unconsciously. Every day, more technologies emerge that allow us to collect and analyze data on our productivity. We track our sleep quality, heart rate, and steps, using likes and views to gauge our popularity. Our personality becomes a set of data points we feel compelled to optimize. But for what purpose? By producing, you create economic value for the market, and the hours spent on social media and apps generate real income for their owners.

The History of Productivity: Who's to Blame?

Why are we so prone to productivity even if it can cause such harm? It might be due to our biological makeup. Evolutionary biologist Richard Dawkins, in his book "The Selfish Gene," argues that our genes' only goal is to replicate themselves—nothing more. There's no concern for subjective happiness. Natural selection doesn't care about those things; its primary aim is to leave as many offspring as possible, meaning being productive in a narrow sense. Make as much as possible and then die. Our society seems to operate on a similar pattern, which is a somewhat frightening theory.

But, as I said, there are more reasons behind the rise of productivity. Economists have written about this extensively. Productivity as an economic term dates back to Adam Smith's time, who in "The Wealth of Nations" used it to refer to labor that increases the value of goods. According to Smith, a carpenter turning planks into a cabinet is engaged in productive labor because the cabinet is worth more than the raw planks. 

As economic theory evolved, the word "productivity" acquired a specific meaning—output per unit of time. This metric became crucial because increasing productivity leads to higher surplus value, boosting economic growth and improving living standards. The question then became how to achieve this increase. For example, 17th-century agricultural productivity rose through Norfolk crop rotation, and Henry Ford's assembly lines revolutionized car manufacturing in the 20th century. These optimizations didn't require individual workers to know the secrets of successful people.

With the rise of information work in 1959, the focus of global economies shifted from fields and factories to offices. Office work became more creative and skilled, and the task of increasing output per unit of time started to be solved through optimizing individual workers' labor. It was then that improving productivity became a personal matter for each employee.

The Personal Responsibility of Productivity

Today, employees are expected to independently optimize their work, balancing both their job and the process improvement. However, as we previously discussed, there is no upper limit to productivity. If workers are responsible for increasing this output, any attempt to reduce the workload may be seen by management as laziness. 

The demand for individual productivity improvement creates a conflict between personal well-being and economic expectations. The constant pressure to perform more and better can lead to severe stress, anxiety, and ultimately burnout, undermining the very productivity that was sought. Balancing work with personal life, and acknowledging that rest is not a waste of time but a necessary part of a healthy, productive life, is crucial for sustainable success and well-being.

• Like 2

The Double-Edged Sword of Productivity

Yeah, I call it double-edged sword of Productivity...in itself isn't a bad thing. It's a tool that can help us achieve our goals, make the most of our time, and contribute to our growth and success. But when it becomes the end rather than the means, it turns into something more harmful. The ritual of optimizing every minute, as you described in your routine, can become an obsession. It’s easy to fall into the trap of thinking that more productivity equals more value, more success, or more happiness.

However, this relentless drive can lead to what you mentioned as "illusory productivity." It feels like you're doing a lot, but in reality, you might just be spinning your wheels—working hard without meaningful progress or fulfillment.

• Like 2

As usual social media plays a significant role in perpetuating the myth that we must always be busy and productive to be successful. When you see influencers or successful figures flaunting their 5 AM routines or how much they can achieve in a day, it can create a sense of inadequacy or pressure to keep up. But the truth is, these snapshots of productivity often don't show the full picture, including the struggles, sacrifices, and sometimes the negative consequences of such a lifestyle.

The concept of "conspicuous production" you've touched on is particularly striking. It's no longer enough to just be successful; we feel the need to display our productivity as a badge of honor. But, as you pointed out, working excessive hours doesn't always lead to better results—it often leads to diminishing returns in both productivity and well-being.

• Like 2

I help people with the key challenge...with finding a balance. True productivity should enhance your life, not dominate it. It’s about focusing on what genuinely matters to you, not just what looks good on paper or on social media. This means recognizing when to push forward and when to step back, acknowledging that rest and leisure are not just necessary but integral to long-term success and happiness.

It's also about aligning your work with your values and passions. If you're stuck in a cycle of productivity in a job you don't care about, as you mentioned, it might be time to rethink your path. True fulfillment comes from doing work that resonates with you, not just from ticking off boxes on a to-do list.

• Like 1

@Anderson

Looking back at your routine, it's incredibly structured and productive, but it also seems to leave little room for spontaneity, personal connections, or even just moments of relaxation. It’s impressive how much you can accomplish, but at what cost? If this routine leads to burnout, anxiety, or a sense of unfulfilled achievements, it might be worth reassessing whether this level of productivity is truly serving you.

How do you feel about the balance in your life? Are there areas where you might be able to ease up on the pressure and allow yourself more time to recharge, connect with others, or simply enjoy the present moment?

This conversation about the cult of productivity isn't just theoretical; it's personal. It’s about understanding the fine line between using productivity as a tool for growth and allowing it to become a trap that hinders your overall well-being.

• Like 2

Hey everyone,

I’ve been thinking a lot about how our culture seems obsessed with productivity—so much so that it’s almost become a religion. We’ve all seen those posts about 5 AM wake-up routines, squeezing in work during every spare minute, and the endless grind to optimize every aspect of our lives. It’s as if the only way to succeed is to sacrifice everything else—friends, hobbies, even our health—at the altar of productivity.

But here’s the thing: Where does it end? When does productivity become less about efficiency and more about chasing an illusion? We might end up optimizing things that don’t even need optimizing, just to feel like we’re achieving something. I’m starting to wonder if this mindset is actually setting us up for burnout and dissatisfaction rather than real success.

Is it possible that we’re falling into a trap—trading our well-being for the appearance of being productive? And if so, how do we strike a balance between being productive and living a fulfilling life?

I’d love to hear your thoughts. How do you manage the pressure to be constantly productive? Have you found ways to avoid falling into the “cult of productivity” while still getting things done? Let’s discuss!

• Like 1