A few years ago, I stumbled upon a powerful quote in a self-development book: "What's the most amazing thing you could be working on, and why aren't you doing it?" This question struck a deep chord with me, and from that moment on, I decided to stop wasting a single minute. I began to structure my days around productivity - everything had to be purposeful. Work, learning new skills, and even relaxation had to be beneficial. My leisure time transformed into either meditation or reading self-help books; no more fiction or mindless entertainment.

At first glance, this might seem admirable - always being productive, constantly busy with something meaningful. But here's the catch: I've forgotten how to be bored. My hands are always clutching some gadget, and information is flooding my mind in an endless stream. This constant influx has drowned out my ability to create or even reflect. My mind is so occupied with consuming that there's no space left for generating new ideas. Ironically, the very pursuit of efficiency that led me to consume more information has resulted in the opposite effect - I feel less creative and more scattered.

Worse yet, this constant busyness has taken a toll on my memory. I can read a chapter of a self-help book or watch an educational video, only to forget its content minutes later. Perhaps you've noticed this yourself - our best ideas often come when our minds are at ease, when we're not actively engaged in something. For instance, the shower is a classic place for "lightbulb" moments. In contrast, I've never had a breakthrough idea while mindlessly scrolling through social media.

Another issue I've come to realize is that I've stopped dreaming. We dream when our minds are idle, when we have the time to reflect inwardly and ask ourselves what we truly desire. But how can dreams flourish when the mind is perpetually occupied with something rational or the constant intake of information, useful or otherwise? Over time, this capacity to dream atrophies.

Recently, I began to wonder: what if I achieved financial stability and gained recognition from others - what then? What do I really want? What do I dream about? Strangely enough, I couldn't find an answer. My mind was blank.

This realization was unsettling, and I decided that I want to reclaim my creativity and my ability to work calmly on a single task. I want to make space in my mind for contemplation and learn how to dream again, just like I did in childhood. Back then, all I needed was some free time, solitude, and my imagination to create entire worlds.

Steve Jobs once said, "I believe in boredom. Boredom allows one to indulge in curiosity, and out of curiosity, everything is born." Inspired by this, I resolved to spend at least one hour a day doing nothing - to just be with my thoughts. I knew this would be a challenge, as my brain is now wired for constant activity and tangible results. So, I set up an experiment: for one hour each day, over the course of a week, I would avoid using my phone, laptop, or books (whether print, digital, or audio) and refrain from talking to others. I would, however, keep a notebook with me to jot down any thoughts or ideas that might arise.

On the first day of the experiment, time seemed to crawl. I checked the clock multiple times, unable to believe that only a minute had passed since the last check. By the end of that hour, I had looked at the clock 17 times - nearly once every three minutes. Frustration set in quickly as I realized that no profound ideas were coming to me. It was hard to resist the urge to do something "productive," like reading the news. My hand instinctively reached for my phone, and it took significant willpower to resist and stay committed to the experiment.

The second day was slightly better. Although the temptation to read a water bottle label (which I couldn’t understand due to it being in Chineese) was strong, I managed to stay focused. Surprisingly, a valuable thought struck me within the first few minutes. I began to notice that my thoughts were becoming longer and more coherent compared to the disjointed fragments of the previous day. This gave me hope that perhaps my brain was slowly adjusting to this new state of being.

By the third day, I found myself actually looking forward to this hour of doing nothing. I had been productive earlier in the day, and lying down to relax felt like a well-deserved break. My notes from this day doubled in volume compared to the previous day, and I noticed that my thoughts were starting to connect more naturally, almost as if my brain was processing information in the background and delivering insights at the right moment.

On the fourth day, I began to let go of my expectations. I realized that it was okay if no groundbreaking ideas emerged during this time. This shift in mindset allowed me to relax even further, leading to the most productive session of the week. I filled my notebook with ideas, including insights about my work habits and a fresh perspective on how I often overwhelm myself with to-do lists.

By the fifth and sixth days, the experiment felt less like a chore and more like a necessary part of my day. I stopped expecting anything specific from this hour, which ironically made the time more fruitful. I no longer needed to consciously push thoughts aside; they just flowed more naturally, and I could sift through them at a comfortable pace.

As the week concluded, I felt a noticeable difference in how I approached both work and rest. My thoughts had become more fluid and less frantic, allowing me to reconnect with a part of myself that I had neglected for far too long. I realized that I am not a machine, and that it’s perfectly fine to spend time doing nothing. This break from constant productivity not only recharged me but also made room for creativity to flourish once again.

Reflecting on this experiment, I’ve come to understand that being constantly busy doesn’t equate to being truly productive. It’s crucial to give your mind the space to breathe, to let ideas incubate, and to allow yourself to dream. Rest is not a waste of time; it's an essential part of the creative process. As I move forward, I plan to continue incorporating these moments of intentional boredom into my routine. The value they bring—both in terms of personal well-being and creative output—cannot be overstated.

Final Thoughts
This experiment highlights a profound truth about modern life: in our pursuit of constant productivity and self-improvement, we often neglect the importance of rest and reflection. The pressure to always be doing something can lead to burnout and a diminished capacity for creativity and deep thought. By intentionally making time to do nothing, we allow our minds to wander, dream, and ultimately, to create. This balance between action and inaction is essential for sustained productivity and mental well-being. The idea of scheduling time to "be bored" might seem counterintuitive, but as this experiment shows, it can lead to richer, more meaningful insights and a greater sense of inner peace.

I would like to recommend you a few topics related to this story:

Thanks for sharing this! It’s fascinating to hear how intentionally making space for boredom has helped you reconnect with your creativity and mental clarity. I would have never thought about that, because I always avoid getting bored...
Your experience actually highlighted a crucial point for me: Constant activity doesn’t necessarily lead to greater productivity or creativity. From my own life, I’ve learned that while staying busy can feel rewarding, it often leads to burnout and scattered thoughts. The burnout always hits me out of the blue! 

What advice would you give to someone who struggles to let go of their productivity-driven mindset and embrace these moments of inactivity?
Your approach challenges the conventional wisdom that constant productivity is the key to success. I grew up being told that the nonstop work drive is what gets you places. Embracing downtime, as you’ve discovered, can be incredibly beneficial for both personal well-being and creative growth. 
It is eye-opening for sure!

• Like 1

Hi Anri,

Thanks for your thoughtful comment! It’s refreshing to see someone recognize the hidden cost of constant busyness. We’ve been conditioned to equate productivity with value, but as you’ve noticed, this can lead to burnout and a sense of being scattered rather than truly effective.

If you’re finding it challenging to let go of a productivity-driven mindset, here are a few strategies that might help:

1. Redefine What Productivity Means to You: The first step is to shift your mindset from equating productivity solely with doing more. Start seeing productivity as doing the right things that align with your values and long-term goals. Sometimes, that means pausing to reflect or allowing yourself some downtime. Consider adopting a “less is more” approach where the quality of your work and ideas takes precedence over the quantity of tasks you complete.

2. Start Small with Intentional Inactivity: If the idea of doing nothing feels overwhelming, begin with short, manageable intervals. Set aside 10-15 minutes each day where you allow yourself to do nothing. During this time, avoid distractions and let your mind wander. This small daily habit can gradually rewire your brain to see the value in unstructured time, making it easier to extend these moments as you grow more comfortable with them.

3. Use Inactivity as a Tool for Problem-Solving: When you’re stuck on a problem or lacking inspiration, intentionally step away and do something non-productive. This could be a walk, some light stretching, or just sitting quietly. Often, our best ideas surface when we’re not actively trying to solve a problem. Viewing these breaks as part of your creative process can make it easier to embrace them without guilt.

4. Challenge the “Hustle Culture” Narrative: It’s important to question the societal narrative that constant work is the only path to success. Look at examples of highly creative or successful individuals who prioritize rest and reflection - many of them credit their breakthroughs to moments of quiet and introspection. Remind yourself that true innovation often comes from allowing your mind to rest and recharge.

5. Reflect on Your Why: Take some time to think about why you feel compelled to stay busy. Is it fear of missing out, societal pressure, or something else? Understanding the root of your drive for constant productivity can help you address it more effectively. From there, you can begin to build a healthier relationship with work and rest.

It’s also worth noting that embracing downtime doesn’t mean abandoning ambition or drive. Rather, it’s about creating a sustainable balance that allows you to maintain your well-being and creativity over the long haul. By giving yourself permission to slow down, you’re actually laying the groundwork for more meaningful and impactful productivity in the future.

Remember, it’s a journey. It might feel uncomfortable at first, but with time, you’ll likely find that these moments of intentional inactivity enhance your creativity and overall sense of peace. Keep experimenting and listening to what your mind and body need. Your future self will thank you for it!

I also would like to recommend you to watch a video about Hard Work, which actually opens up some mistakes we do when