Audio version of the post (you need to be a registered member for listening):

When I was little, I thought being an adult was the pinnacle of coolness. Adults always seemed to know what to do in every situation. They had answers to all questions, were confident, independent, and could buy chocolate whenever they wanted. I couldn’t wait to grow up. But when society deemed me an adult, I had a startling realisation: nobody knows anything. Everyone just follows given instructions, and the so-called answers aren’t really answers at all.

Confidence? Studies show that up to 85% of adults struggle with self-esteem, and it tends to decrease as people age. Independence? Many live pay-check to pay-check, with the biggest fear being a reprimand from their boss. The only hope is for a comfortable old age, and yes, chocolate is mostly reserved for special occasions. Looking at all this, I wondered: why should I even want to grow up?

What is this adulthood you speak of, and why do millennials and even Gen Z seem to understand it better than their predecessors? Let’s delve into this, starting with physiology.

Physiology of Growing Up

Our skeletons grow and change until around the age of 30. Men continue growing upwards until about 25, and women until 21. Different parts of the skeleton mature at different rates. Hands and shoulder blades harden first, followed by the lower limbs and pelvic bones, then the sternum, vertebrae, and collarbone. If you're 22, your collarbones still have some growing to do.

The number of bones decreases from over 170 at birth to about 206 in adulthood as many bones fuse, creating stronger and larger structures. Muscle mass increases with skeletal growth, while body fat percentage tends to decrease with age. Remember those chubby baby pictures? The maximum muscle efficiency for both sexes peaks around 18 and holds until about 25, explaining why athletes often retire early.

By around 20, hormonal surges that drive the final stages of development no longer cause sudden mood swings or bursts of anger or joy. The rebellious spirit, making you do the opposite of what adults say, fades. Spontaneous erections are no longer a social embarrassment. The thyroid gland, after peaking, reduces its activity, slowing metabolism and decreasing the need for calories. Those days of turbo-boosting on chips, chocolate, and soda are over. Welcome to adult life, where healthy sleep and proper nutrition reign supreme.

As we age, our brains and bodies adapt to adrenaline spikes. We no longer blush, sweat, or shake without reason. Our psyche stabilizes, and the habits and traits formed by our environment solidify. If you had a joyful childhood, you're likely optimistic. If you faced fears and persevered, bravery sticks with you. A wide social circle and reliable friends in youth make forming new connections easier. However, the opposite is also true, which is why psychologists delve into your childhood.

Character traits, whether positive or negative, are also influenced by genetics, biochemistry, and hormones—a domain for professional medical science. Beware of gleaning information from pop science videos; the risk of misinformation is high.

Influence of Environment on Character Formation

Character formation is primarily about interactions with other people, starting from infancy. Early reactions from parents to a baby's cries, for example, lay the groundwork for many character traits. This process is unconscious and continues until the child can understand and use language. Therefore, it’s challenging to blame parents entirely for how their children turn out.

Modern research emphasizes that care from the first day of life increases a child’s chances of growing up independent, confident, and happy. Conversely, ignoring a child's need for attention or reacting negatively to their simplest initiatives can lead to complexes and childhood traumas. As children grow, their reactions become more conscious, and they begin to manipulate to get attention, care, and chocolates.

Parents, in turn, start what we call education - a process that becomes more conscious if the parent-child communication is effective. Parenting is an art involving psychology and sociology. In adolescence, interactions shift from family to the harsh outside world where no one understands you. Teen angst, characterized by emotional turmoil, is a sweet memory.

Teenagers debate what actions and words are acceptable or unacceptable, dividing the world into black and white, good and bad. Responsibility for one’s reactions, emotions, and actions sets in, making this a challenging period. Young people realize that working on their character is a demanding task, one that many avoid even in adulthood. Some just say, "That's just my character," and leave it at that.

A lack of meaningful communication at any age can have severe consequences. Social networks may alleviate this to some extent, but not reliably. So, while being a recluse might seem stylish and convenient, it’s risky. Engage with others, for your sake.

Teenagers of the Past

Have you ever considered how teenagers lived in the past? Surprisingly, until the 19th century, teenagers didn’t exist as a concept. Children were seen as small adults and were given adult responsibilities, often involving physical labor, from around age seven. They became apprentices at 11, started real jobs at 15, and by 17-18, they moved out and started their own families.

However, with industrialization and the advent of universal education, society began to notice the challenges of growing up. The term "adolescent" was introduced in the late 19th century. In 1904, American psychologist and educator Stanley Hall coined the term "adolescence" to describe this stage of life, starting a significant conversation on the psychology of adolescence.

Hall believed adolescence began at 14 and ended at 24, a concept initially dismissed but later considered groundbreaking. In 1960, historian Philippe Ariès argued that adolescence is a complex social and cultural construct. It took over a century for society to recognize the existence of teenagers. Before this, you were either a child or abruptly an adult.

Adulthood: The Beginning of the End

As you reach adulthood, your body completes its development, and everything starts to decline. Bones become brittle, muscles lose strength and volume, and cuts and bruises don’t heal as quickly. Physical activity, however, remains crucial for quality of life at any age. Combined with a healthy diet and avoiding bad habits, you can prolong your youth.

Cognitively, your brain no longer has the plasticity of a child’s. To maintain good memory throughout life, engage in memory-demanding activities from a young age. Fast reaction times and attention are honed by activities like gaming. As you age, your brain becomes less flexible, turning from plasticine into clay, which can harden if not used. Neuroplasticity allows the brain to develop throughout life, albeit more slowly.

Cultural Maturity

Cultural maturity is more complex and leads us to a significant social issue: the generation gap. The 20th century, marked by wars and technological advances, brought unprecedented opportunities - from mass education to travel. This changed how people viewed adulthood. The average age for marriage increased, and traditional markers of adulthood, like family and income, took a back seat. Modern young adults prioritize personal development and experiences over following their parents’ footsteps.

In the 1960s, historian Philippe Ariès noted that adolescence is a social and cultural construct. Today, the active learning phase extends longer, with adolescents transitioning to adulthood around 24, a notion once considered absurd.

The prolonged adolescence leads to uncertainty in career choices, reluctance to start families, and a quest for new experiences. This shift causes generational conflict, as young adults prioritize personal growth over traditional markers of maturity like property ownership.

In conclusion, the idea of growing up has evolved dramatically, influenced by physiological, psychological, and cultural changes. Understanding these shifts helps navigate the complexities of modern adulthood, bridging the gap between generations and embracing the continuous journey of personal development.

Please let me know your thought on the topic.

• Olga changed the title to The Illusion of Adulthood: Unveiling the Realities Behind Growing Up

Audio version of the post (you need to be a registered member for listening):

I would like to publish some parts which seriously influence our lives in the modern world. We asked questions to random people and got their responses.

1. How has the concept of adulthood evolved over time?
How have recent economic trends impacted young adults' ability to achieve financial independence?

I used to believe that by the time I became an adult, I'd have financial stability all figured out. However, modern economic trends have made this much harder to achieve. For example, I work multiple jobs to make ends meet, and many of my peers are in similar situations. High student loan debt and the rising cost of living mean that saving for the future feels almost impossible. The gig economy, with its lack of benefits and job security, has become a norm for many, complicating the traditional path to financial independence.

2. How does technology influence the perception of adulthood?
 In what ways has technology changed the way we perceive and experience adulthood?

It has reshaped my view of adulthood in profound ways. Growing up, I thought adults had all the answers, but now I realize that the internet, while a treasure trove of information, often adds to my confusion. There's so much information out there that it can be overwhelming, and it’s easy to feel like I'm not doing enough when I see others' curated lives on social media. Moreover, working remotely has blurred the lines between my work and personal life, demanding more discipline and better time management than ever before.

3. How do changing social norms impact adulthood?
How have changing social norms and cultural expectations influenced the journey to adulthood?

Changing social norms have had a huge impact on my journey to adulthood. Unlike previous generations who followed a more rigid timeline of marriage, buying a house, and starting a family, my peers and I are redefining these milestones. Many of us are choosing to prioritize our careers and personal development over settling down early. This shift has allowed for greater personal growth and exploration, but it also brings with it a degree of uncertainty and societal pressure to succeed on our own terms.

4. What role does mental health play in modern adulthood?
How has the focus on mental health reshaped the experience of becoming an adult?

The emphasis on mental health has reshaped my experience of adulthood significantly. Unlike previous generations, there's now more openness and acceptance about seeking help for mental health issues. I've personally benefited from therapy and mindfulness practices, which have helped me manage stress and anxiety. This focus on mental health has encouraged me and my peers to prioritize well-being over merely pushing through challenges, leading to a more balanced approach to life's pressures.

5. How do global events influence the transition to adulthood?
What impact do global events like pandemics and climate change have on young adults' transition to adulthood?

Global events like the COVID-19 pandemic and climate change have deeply influenced my transition to adulthood. The pandemic, for instance, disrupted my education and career plans, leading me to adapt quickly and find new ways to work and socialize. Climate change, on the other hand, has instilled a sense of urgency and responsibility in me and my peers. It has influenced our career choices, pushing many of us towards more sustainable practices and jobs that contribute positively to the environment. These events have made me more resilient and aware of the global impact of my actions.

• Like 1

As I transitioned into adulthood, I started noticing some significant changes in my body that affected my daily life. For one, I couldn't eat junk food without consequences anymore. I began gaining weight more easily, so I had to pay more attention to what I ate and make time for exercise.

My energy levels also changed. In my teenage years, I could stay up all night and still function the next day. Now, if I don't get enough sleep, I feel exhausted and can't concentrate. I’ve learned the hard way that getting a good night's sleep is essential.

I also noticed that my skin wasn’t as forgiving as it used to be. I started breaking out more and had to be more consistent with my skincare routine. On the plus side, my moods became more stable compared to my teenage years. I didn’t have those intense emotional swings anymore, which was a relief.

All these changes made me realize how important it is to take care of myself. Eating right, getting enough sleep, and finding ways to manage stress became crucial parts of my routine. It’s all part of adjusting to the realities of adult life.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Another angle to consider is how our evolving sense of adulthood is so widely influenced by shifting expectations around success and identity.

For example, while economic pressures impact our financial and personal lives, they also affect our self-perception... Like constant comparison on social media! Can we talk about that for a sec... 

@Anri 

You're absolutely right! The evolving sense of adulthood is heavily shaped by shifting expectations around success and identity, and economic pressures certainly play a significant role. Social media, in particular, has amplified these pressures by creating a constant environment of comparison. We see curated versions of others' lives, which can distort our perceptions of what success and adulthood should look like.

This comparison can lead to feelings of inadequacy, as we measure our own lives against these idealized images. It can also blur the lines between personal identity and societal expectations, making it harder for individuals to form a true sense of self. Emotional regulation and self-awareness become even more crucial in this context, as they help us navigate these challenges without losing sight of who we are and what truly matters to us.

It's essential to foster a mindset that values personal growth and authenticity over external validation. By doing so, we can better manage the pressures of modern life and create a more fulfilling path to adulthood. Thank you for bringing up such a relevant and thought-provoking point!

• Like 1